Recommendations

deetster

So i just submitted a bunch of apps for Phds/MPPs and noticed that 1 or 2 of my references hadn't submitted their forms despite being reminded recently (initially notified months ago). Will the programs throw out my apps cuz my recommendations haven't arrived in time??????

the same thing happened to me on the 12-15 deadline. I called each school (5 total) and three give a two week grace period for recs to come in. One needed it to be uploaded the day i called by close of business, and one school req. a note from the professor stating the lateness was entirely her fault not mine.

I suggest you call monday and see what they say. I freaked out because of this, but actually talking to someone at the program made it much easier. Plus, they all assured me this is really common. Just try to get them in as soon as possible.

You will have to call each department and ask. I was in the same situation last week (luckily a little more pushing and I got them all in). Anyways, I called my departments and it varied for each one, and I had 3 due on Jan 1. One school told me it would just need to make it by mid-Feb (!), Another told me if it got there by Jan 9 it would be OK, and the other said it wouldn't really matter, but my app wouldn't get reviewed until it arrived, so it needed to be there by the time they made the last round of acceptances, whenever that happens to be.

They were all understanding and said they deal with it a lot, but I would definitely recommend calling so they are aware, and so you can relax a little because they will most likely tell you there is a grace period for it as long as the rest of your app is in. I also included a cover letter in all of my apps listing what was included in the packet, and made sure to note that a third letter had been requested and would be arriving (or uploaded) separately.

• 2 weeks later...

I had this happen as well. One school (my first choice) told me it was crucial to get the letters in before the deadline. One said there was no hurry, and another had already accepted me on the basis of the one letter that had gone out on time (that was my double-safety school).

I had this happen as well. One school (my first choice) told me it was crucial to get the letters in before the deadline. One said there was no hurry, and another had already accepted me on the basis of the one letter that had gone out on time (that was my double-safety school).

What is a double-safety school? Does that mean it's even safer than your other safe school?

Well, my wife's and my families are in the same state. My actual safety is my current undergrad institution (out of state), and my first choice is in Home State. I picked a double-safety in Home State, just in case (a) First Choice says no, and (B) my wife and I decide for some reason that we really, really need to live in Home State.

Current Undergrad has a much better program than Double Safety (it's safe because I'm known here), so it's only in a very particular scenario that I'd end up going to Double Safety. But I wanted to keep the option open.