International Application

George2248

Hello I am an International student, with no background in the US education system, I just got my BS Degree in Civil Engineering from a top University in Venezuela.

I was wondering if there are any International Students as me who are planning to apply for the next Fall Semester. This way we can share some concerns and help each other.

The main concern I have is regarding the Official Transcripts. Some Schools want me to upload my transcripts and others want me to send the transcripts by mail. The problem is that I am not sure what I need to mail and how they need to be certificate. Do I need a Degree? only grades? letter of completition? class ranking?

Also, according to my school in Venezuela, the transcripts they gave me need to be certificate by the "Haya Apostile" and then they need to be translated by a recognized translator. I am not sure if this certification process is really required for the US and for the application process.

Thanks for the help and feedback....

Let me see if I can help you, as I went through a similar process when applying for my BS in the USA - US schools wanted official copies of my high school transcript, which I did not have, because in my country there is no such thing as 'official' high school transcript. And the same issue prevails in some undergraduate institutions. So what I did was I asked the schools I was applying to, if I could send them unofficial copy now, and if I get accepted and decide to attend their institution, I will bring with me an official copy. Most schools agreed. Even last year when I applied to PhD programs from within the States, many schools asked for unofficial copies and gave me admission with the condition that I present to them an official copy when and if I attended their program. Since there are real people behind the application system who are monitoring the process closely, you should be able to convince them of what I did. If they demand that the transcript has to be official, then make it as official you can - which is simply printing it through your registrar's office, putting in an envelope and having a school official sign across the seal. I hope you will be able to do this. If it has to be translated, then put an original in an envelope in the manner described above, and have a translator translate it for you, along with a letter/form that verifies that the translation process was fair.

And no, you don't have to have a degree by the time you apply. You could be working towards the completion of it such that by the time you start your program here, you will have received your current degree. In this case, only send the transcript that covers classes up to the point of application.

Good luck!

Let me see if I can help you, as I went through a similar process when applying for my BS in the USA - US schools wanted official copies of my high school transcript, which I did not have, because in my country there is no such thing as 'official' high school transcript. And the same issue prevails in some undergraduate institutions. So what I did was I asked the schools I was applying to, if I could send them unofficial copy now, and if I get accepted and decide to attend their institution, I will bring with me an official copy. Most schools agreed. Even last year when I applied to PhD programs from within the States, many schools asked for unofficial copies and gave me admission with the condition that I present to them an official copy when and if I attended their program. Since there are real people behind the application system who are monitoring the process closely, you should be able to convince them of what I did. If they demand that the transcript has to be official, then make it as official you can - which is simply printing it through your registrar's office, putting in an envelope and having a school official sign across the seal. I hope you will be able to do this. If it has to be translated, then put an original in an envelope in the manner described above, and have a translator translate it for you, along with a letter/form that verifies that the translation process was fair.

And no, you don't have to have a degree by the time you apply. You could be working towards the completion of it such that by the time you start your program here, you will have received your current degree. In this case, only send the transcript that covers classes up to the point of application.

Good luck!

Thanks for the.... I already contacted must of the programs but they were not very specific about how they wanted the transcripts. I guess I will send them and see what feedback they give me.