Interdiciplinary schools---portfolio of interdiciplinary approach?

TheStranger

If the grad school you are applying to is interdisciplinary and you are applying for painting, should one streamline their portfolio not by one static approach but by with varying approaches to the same theme? (ex: digital projection, painting alone, etc). Whereas the thing that holds the pieces together is the theme...that it could all fit in a themed gallery albeit the pieces in it varied in approach and mediums? Has anyone applied by doing this? It teeters on what we are suppose to avoid, which is loosing a sense of a series of work. But if the theme is specific and carries throughout the work in an interdisciplinary way, shouldn't it be fine?

Depends on the program and what you think is your best work. Series can be pretty loosely defined, as my portfolio was. If i was applying to an interdisciplinary program whose students aren't doing much painting, I might take that into consideration. If there are some students who do all painting, it would seem as though the faculty don't mind. If you stick to the series thing too carefully, you run the risk of looking unimaginative and unwilling to take risks. Your more experimental pieces might be the ones that get you into a school.

I don't know what works best for you, but I would go with whatever method shows how you approach your work. I would want the portfolio to express what they would be reading in the artist statement too.

I'm applying to interdisciplinary programs and most of my portfolio will be drawings or painting. Most of those have 3D elements though.

• 2 months later...