Huge mistake on SOP

Kcanuck

Feeling a touch masochistic, I went and re-read my SoP from my first application this round - incidentally my top choice programme. I realised I didn't even name the university once! There is a genuine "fit paragraph" with the name of the department (only slightly less generic than "Department of English") and the unique concentration this programme offers and the professor who makes this programme my top choice, yet not once did I actually specify Dream U by name.

D'oh!

I have a scary feeling this could have happened with at least one other SoP since. Double d'oh!

I'm willing to bet that at least half of the professors who evaluate your application will know which university currently employs them.

• 2 years later...

Resurrecting this to warn all others from rereading SOPs once submitted! I just did and realised I forgot to remove a mention of Northwestern from my Chicago statement. Lordy. Ah well, I'm going to give the adcomms the credit of remembering what applying to so many places is like. ..... ??

Resurrecting this to warn all others from rereading SOPs once submitted! I just did and realised I forgot to remove a mention of Northwestern from my Chicago statement. Lordy. Ah well, I'm going to give the adcomms the credit of remembering what applying to so many places is like. ..... ??

Ouch...I was scared that I would that as I basically kept one SOP and simply deleted school specific info each time, I also pretty much to do the same thing for cover letters to similar job applications. Who knows...I could have done it and never noticed. But yeah when you're doing a bunch of them at once it gets really easy to slip up like that.

I was REALLY paranoid about doing this. So paranoid that I failed to notice a sentence fragment in my Yale application. At the end of a paragraph, it says "I also completed" and then nothing (I had moved that sentence elsewhere but apparently failed to delete the original). It's in "Additional Academic Information," though, not the SOP.