Beware of typographic errors in the GRE

finknottle

I wrote the GRE today, and (at least) one of the questions that I got had a typographic error. It was something like this: "In a set of 15 measurements, 8 numbers are less than x and 8 numbers are more than y " where x and y were some numbers. It was a comparison question where A was 'median of the set' and B was some number. This was a very flagrant typo, and there is no way to deduce what the actual question might've been. Either 15 should've been 16, or one of the 8's should've been a 7. Based on that, 3 out of the 4 alternatives are possible candidates for the right answer.(Only the equality is not possible). I assumed that they meant 16 numbers in the set, and I selected 'Can't say' since that seemed like something that they might want to test. I'll mail and call ETS on Monday. Has anyone else faced something like this? I got another question too which I'm pretty sure was incorrect, but it was too long to remember. The score ranges I got were 750-800 in quant and 700-800 in verbal.

I don't see the problem.

if x>y then there's no problem, surely? And nowhere does the question (as you've relayed it...) state that x<y; that's just an assumption you appear to have made by yourself.

If, for ease of visualisation, we let the set be the numbers 1-15, 8 numbers are less than 9 and 8 numbers are more than 7. So x=9, y=7. That's fine. And the median of the set is 8. What's the problem?

Yeah i forgot to mention that x<y.

Edit: It wasn't x and y in the question. As I said they were some numbers. I remember that x was less than y. Besides, the obvious typographic error is about 15, 8 and 8. Even if there were a way to find the answer in spite of the error, which in this case there isn't, it doesn't mitigate the problem. An error is still an error.

Edited by prasun