So, what's my odds, given the feedback from the professor

xzjohn

I networked with a professor and had a talk w/ him over the phone before application.

At the beginning, he asked me what he could do for my application. I said I'd like to introduce myself and get some info. about his research details. Then, we exchanged information about both my and his previous and current research. He even described the content and scope of his pending grant project, which perfectly matches my background. Finally, we talked about money, research assistantship from him. He said the following points:

1) His current grants have been saturated and a new grant application is still pending. The final decision comes out around next April.

Well, based on my knowledge of grant applications in my field (biomedical), he's quite likely to know his score in Jan. or Feb., which means he'll unofficially know the final decision then. Since all admitted student will be supported by the department for the 1st year, he only starts to pay me from his grant from the 2nd year, if I join his group. But, the department requires all student find an advisor before Christmas and so I'm gonna have to "secure" a future RA position in order to get admitted in the very beginning.

2) When I asked him if it was appropriate to indicate him in the SoP, he said "you're more than welcome to do that."

3) I explicitly asked him if I can join his group, working on his new grant project as my PhD dissertation, if it'll get approved next April. He said "absolutely." But, meanwhile, he mentioned several other faculty members within the department, whose research may be related to my background as well, but sorta remotely.

He didn't make any explicit, or literal, commitment to "carry me over" the departmental admission process. But my friend said I'd have a big chance of getting admitted based on the professor's words about his grant application, which implies he's quite confident in getting this grant. I checked out his grant application history since 2000 and it looks really neat.

So, guys, what do you think about my odds? And, what do you think I should do from now till the admission decision comes out? The department has notified me my application had been sent to faculty for review and the decision should come out by early Feb.

Thanks a lot. Have the best of luck for your applications!

It is understandable that he is not in position to tell you about admission because as he said he has no secure money for you right now. Plus, in some schools, an individual profession may not guarantee any admission decision.

I also had interviews with two different professors, and we only discussed about how well our research interests are aligned. I would say you'd better think your odd is about a half. It would be good to your mental health in case things go bad (ex. his funding application is denied, or any other never expectable situations.)

well, I was quite surprised 'coz he discussed w/ me about his funding in details, even telling me the content and scope of his pending application. So, I became somewhat optimistic after talking w/ him but I'm afraid I'm too optimistic and read too much b/t lines. That's why I wanna get some "neutral" comments about my network. Indeed, I think I'll get rejected if his chance of getting that grant grows dim in a couple of months. I have no idea how much weight of a professor's endorsement can contribute to the application decision at this program.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions.