Postgrad in Electrical Engineering after 8 year hiatus

Jez

Hello,

This is a great forum, thanks to everyone for sharing their knowledge and advice.

My situation is a bit unique and I hope you guys can give me some feedback and ideas.

I graduated in 2004 with a BSc. in Electrical Engineering, Upper 2nd class Hons. I worked in the power industry for about 1 year after that. I then decided that I wanted to take a short (2 year) break to do some personal development studies abroad. I had recently gotten married, and initially, I went away without my wife, as she was settled in her job and didn't want to leave it just yet. While I was away though, she decided that she wanted to join me, also to do studies for her own purposes. In 2007, we moved to a new city where we enrolled to do diplomas in a foreign language first. After completing this (2 years), we were a bit caught up in the whole thing and both jumped in to degree programs that are very specific to the culture we were learning about. That was 2 years ago. We are both now halfway through these degrees, and I personally don't have much inclination to see it through to the end. I would like to get back to engineering now, and am contemplating applying to start my Masters.

My questions after all of this: would my 6-year break (so far), with nothing to show at the end of it except a 2-year diploma be detrimental to my application? Would it be better to complete the degree program I am currently enrolled in, which would bring the hiatus to 8 years? Would admission reviewers think that a 6-year break with nearly no accomplishments, and very little relevant work experience is ok? Or would it be better to have a 2-year foreign language diploma, a 4 year BA, then move forward to my Masters?

Thanks a lot to whoever can give me some advice, I really appreciate it.

First of all, "you dun goofed up."

Second of all, out of curiosity how did you manage to find shelter and food being on a 6-year break?

Now to your question, I think what is worse than having nothing to show is showing no commitment. I think it is all about how you word it in your SoP. However, to be fair to reality.. You do have a weak case, not an impossible one. If I were you I would continue with the foreign language degree and then apply to master's possibly after getting some work or research experience. Part of it is to give a compelling reason why you want to do a grad degree in EE.

Edited by adelashk

If your not interested in your language degree anymore, don't stay in it just cause you might think it will give you a better shot at an engineering degree, because it will have little effect. Bottom line is you'll need to word your SOP correctly, but you already have an engineering degree with good qualifications for that education.

Now don't run off applying to MIT/Stanford etc, but if your trying to apply to a lower tier school (60-100) for a masters only, I think you'll have no problem at all. As i've mentioned here quite a bit, the school industry is a busy and a very profitable one at that. They will gladly accept your money so you can study there.

If you have any expectations to try and get a TA/RA for funding, I would highly doubt that is out of the question now, but if your just trying to get accepted into a MS program....i think you'll have no problem.

Good luck