Again, Low GPA problem

Trampolist

I'm a Chinese student, but studying my 4th year mechanical engineering in Canada

I am planning to get a master (AD) from US

My GPA is pretty low, probably around 3 out of 4. My GRE is 1450+

I don't have research experience, only worked as intern for about one year.

I am not sure with this background (especially my low GPA) , what level of university should I try to apply

Another thing I'm thinking about is to get a coursed based M.Eng degree in my current undergraduate school first, then apply to a thesis based master program in US. I have no idea if this can help me get admitted to a better school, and this will take me one extra year. I am quite confused about what I should do right now.

Any one can offer some advise? Thanks~

Your low GPA coupled with your complete lack of research experience will make it very difficult for you to get into a thesis based master's program. You have just started your 4th (and I assume final) year now, correct? I too had no research experience prior to my 4th year and gained it all throughout the year and then did a summer research project as well (ended up doing 3 projects in the last year). The problem with this, however, is that applications are obviously due very soon, perhaps too soon for you to list these projects. This happened to me as well, but my high GPA made up for the fact that only 1/3 of the projects I completed were in progress at the time of the application due date. So you could try to get involved in some research RIGHT NOW or at least get involved this year and perhaps take a year off for the next round of applications.

I'm a Chinese student, but studying my 4th year mechanical engineering in Canada

I am planning to get a master (AD) from US

My GPA is pretty low, probably around 3 out of 4. My GRE is 1450+

I don't have research experience, only worked as intern for about one year.

I am not sure with this background (especially my low GPA) , what level of university should I try to apply

Another thing I'm thinking about is to get a coursed based M.Eng degree in my current undergraduate school first, then apply to a thesis based master program in US. I have no idea if this can help me get admitted to a better school, and this will take me one extra year. I am quite confused about what I should do right now.

Any one can offer some advise? Thanks~

Unfortunately, you can not acquire a Meng degree and then move off to another school to acquire a MS (research degree). Unless the two degrees are distinctly different, there would be no point for you or the school to waste your time getting two masters degrees in the same field.

An Meng is fine (non-thesis) depending on what you want to do. It's a professional degree. Unless your trying on acquiring the PhD, then still with the Meng as you'll save yourself a lot of time and money if you can get it from your current school.