CV double dipping?

I should start by saying that I'm one of those people who seriously judges those who do ridiculous things to boost the length of their CV, whether it be absurd spacing, unnecessary details, or listing the same conference papers twice when given at two different venues.

The closest thing I've done to this has been to, first, list a paper that was presented at a conference and then to, second, list it again elsewhere because it was subsequently published in the conference proceedings journal. To be honest, even this makes me feel like a poser, but because my CV is rather young and it was my only significant publication, I let it slide.

Here's my new dilemma: I'm giving a paper at a conference soon and was also asked recently to be the moderator of this panel. This is big for me because I've never done anything quite like it before. I want to add an entry for the moderator of this panel, but feel like I might be double dipping.

I'm not all that caught up in "CV authenticity" or anything ridiculous like that. I'm mostly concerned about an adcom looking at something like this and thinking, "OK, this person is trying a bit too hard to look important." Yes, I know that most CVs don't get looked at that closely at first; I'm thinking about if I'm in a short stack and it comes to scrutinizing things to see who the best candidate is.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

For what it's worth, I don't think that listing multiple conferences where you presented the same work is double-dipping. You were accepted to all these different conferences and that should be on your CV. In that situation, my favorite way of listing the conferences is to give the name of the talk once and then below it list the details of all the conferences where the talk was given. I also know people who just list separate entries for all their talks and I don't find that ridiculous or superfluous either. This is true in case that these are all refereed conferences; I wouldn't list student workshops/reading groups/practice talks/other non-refereed conferences for a talk that you already presented at a "real" conference.

Separately from your talks you should also list publications, and there is no reason not to include conference proceedings. Not every talk turns into a paper so if you don't list a publication, no one will automatically assume that you submitted a paper to the proceedings. In the same vein, moderating is yet another independent accomplishment. I would list that under service: "2011. XX conference. Moderator on XX panel' or some such.

Thanks for the clear reply, Fuzzylogic. I think your justification of this is pretty solid, and I appreciate your suggestion on listing the details of conferences below a paper given more than once.

I thought this might stimulate more of a discussion, but it seems that you've answered it pretty well.

Many thanks!