"Research" for I/O psych

cherubie

I've been trying to see if I can dig up any information on this, but haven't been very successful. If this specific topic has been addressed, please redirect me.

Now to my question: What kind of research is "research experience" for I/O Psychology referring to? I'm new to this field (as you can tell), and have plenty of research experience, but I definitely do not work for a corporation, neither have I ever been in HR.

As for my own research experience, they include: behavioral psychology, lab-bench cancer and neuroscience research, and most significantly, my current job, which is in a cognitive neuroscience lab with research in relation to emotions and physiology. Now NONE of these are related to I/O research. Everywhere I've read, I see that research experience is one of the most important criteria, but most either says "psych research" or just "research". So is the type of research I have now what they're referring to, are they talking about ANY psychology-related research, or IO research specifically?

If anything, the main "relevant" experience related to IO is that I have been recruiting, training, and overseeing undergraduate (and any other new, below phD level people) in the lab.

Thanks everyone!

Edited by cherubie

most people will disagree with me, but being in the I/O program, and having spoken with I/O faculty and people on the admissions board, read extensively on selection literature, I can tell you this: GPA and GRE will be what they place the highest weight on. Research interest does not necessarily have to be specific to I/O. As long as you show 1) you know what you are doing, 2) you have experience with basic principles of design, analysis, 3) You have a well-informed interest in I/O, then it shouldn't be much of a problem.

If you have good stats, and demonstrate you can succeed in grad school, and show some interest in I/O, you will have a good chance. I did NO research in I/O psych and as you will see in your selection process, bowling green is pretty good.

good luck. let me know if you need help.

most people will disagree with me, but being in the I/O program, and having spoken with I/O faculty and people on the admissions board, read extensively on selection literature, I can tell you this: GPA and GRE will be what they place the highest weight on. Research interest does not necessarily have to be specific to I/O. As long as you show 1) you know what you are doing, 2) you have experience with basic principles of design, analysis, 3) You have a well-informed interest in I/O, then it shouldn't be much of a problem.

If you have good stats, and demonstrate you can succeed in grad school, and show some interest in I/O, you will have a good chance. I did NO research in I/O psych and as you will see in your selection process, bowling green is pretty good.

good luck. let me know if you need help.

Thank you for that reply. I actually have been wanting to go the clinical psych route for some time, and recently developed an interest in I/O. But of course, I am still in the process of finding out more about it. If you don't mind, what is considered "good" stats? Do the other students in your cohort also not have any I/O research, or are you kind of the exception? Finally (sorry for all the questions!), do schools expect the student to narrow down the subfield of I/O when they apply? Thank you again.

a school like BG would be looking for a min of 1100 but aim for 1250 range (not hard standards but its close). GPA wise 3.5 is probably the min you want to have.

I would say I'm the exception. BUT this is with a caveat, I would guess I represent few FEW applicants in terms of interest and stats. Meaning, most people with my background and experience would get into many more cognitive programs and they would not be applying to I/O. So its a selection issue.

in terms of narrowing down the field, again, you have to demonstrate you have SOME idea about the type of work, and some potential areas that draws you to the field. and the rest may be fit, but in I/O psych, most programs admit students to the program, not specific advisors like they do in clinical or cognitive, so your research "fit" plays a role but not a HUGE role.

Does anyone have any other input? There are tons of info out there for clinical psych, and comparatively sparse for I/O. Donny, thanks for your replies, but on one hand, you mentioned that it's the GRE and grades that matter, but on the other hand you also said that you're the "exception". My GRE score is decent and my grades are as well (the overall average is okay, but that was mostly due to my pre-med classes in the first 2 years).

Plus, I'm happy at my job right now (full time RA in a psych, non I/O lab) so it's not feasible for me to quit or try to find another one or to go volunteer. Oh well...

I am the exception because of my UG research interest. and I said its the gre/grades that matter is because the fact I'm the exception in terms of my research interest shouldn't say anything about my qualifications as an applicant. so I'm saying, keep doing what you are doing, you don't need specific I/O research experience, make sure you have good stats, and general research knowledge, as well as SOME idea of the I/O field.

I applied to cognitive, social, and MOB programs as well.

I also had to consider getting jobs after I graduate. Tenure academic positions are competitive, and there are certain aspect of academia that do not appeal to me, which is one of the reasons why I applied to I/O programs, because of a industry career path afterwards. Despite all of it, I got into a highly connected and reputable program and doing the research I like to do so it all worked for me. :)