How Important are Internships?

ADL

Hi, I have a question. If every other part of my application is good (I have a good GPA (3.5), high GRE scores good recommendations etc...) how important are internships when applying to a masters program? My only experience with the Middle East is that I lived there for a year, speak hebrew and went on an archeological excavation there for a summer. I also studied a little about it in my anthropology minor and history major. I am looking to go into Middle Eastern Studies and looking at schools like Columbia University, Chicago University etc... if that helps. Thanks!!!!!

• 1 month later...

Internships aren't really that important, though they really won't hurt. Master's programs are notoriously less competitive than PhDs, so you won't be a disadvantage if you don't have "internships"...

Your stats look good. Just make sure that you note that it is University of Chicago and not Chicago University ;-)

Also, Chicago and Columbia are very different programs, so make sure you have a focused area of interest.