Visa F1

Hello, I already asked that in a old topic, but dont get any answear, however I have some concern about the Visa F1, i get the I20 and all the documents for the interview to get the visa. My concern is about the ties with my home country, and for this thing I have documents about the universities I did two years but not completed in civil engineering, diploma from high school for surveyor, my family, property of my family, playing football for 15 years, working for a construction company for 6 months, and also worked while studying in a restaurant, and the only thing that worry myself is that I was in the U.S. different times, the first time in May 2010 for a week for my birthday and to bring my girlfriend to the prom, the second time I was in Boston in August 2010 to take an English course of three weeks more 'one week for stay there with my girlfriend, then I returned to the U.S. in November 2010 for thanksgiving and returned to Italy on January 6 2011 after the Christmas and New Year spent with my girlfriend, I started to work at this construction company, and at the end of June 2011 I went to my girlfriend to spend the summer with her ​​and returned Aug. 14 2011, just for stay with my girlfriend. Every time i was there max 40 days, just for visit. Now I have found this opportunity for me to finish my studies in U.S. from a city close to she, and go to stay from the house of she. My worry is that at the interview if he go to ask me the reason of why I've been different times in the U.S. and I say' cause I have a girlfriend who lives there 'and she is American, I will have' problems? and also because i will stay from she? i am just 22 years old and she 19 years old. Is reallyyyy early for us thinking about wedding or something, so i dont know where can be a problem

I have no idea because I had never been to the US before my visa interview. All I can say is: I worried a lot beforehand too, and in the end everything was really easy (no difficulty in getting the visa at all). I think it really depends on your home country: if you are from NW Europe you should be fine. If you are from, say, Nigeria, the process will tend to be more difficult. Sad, but true. So if you include your home country that could help people to answer your question.

• 2 months later...

hello, today i was in milan for my interview, well, was all ok, i just get that, but now i was worried about one thing, the form DS-160, the embassy dont give me back that form, is normal? i dont need that when i leave italy for go in USA?

• 2 months later...

Caro Vito,

I'm Italian too and I have the same problem. I was admitted for a PhD in the states and I have to go to the visa interview soon.

I'm worrying about the fact that I have been in the states 5 times in the last 2 years to visit my girlfriend (she is american).

I was thinking too that if they ask me about it I believe that deliberately lie it's not a good idea.

I would like to know more about your interview experience.

Thank you

From my experience this wont be a problem. I am not Italian but I am from Europe and I got a visa without problems after spending a lot of time in the US previously (in one year I went there 5 times; for 3 months, 2 months, 1 week, 1 week, 1 week). Just prepare to show some ties to your home country in case they ask, show for example that you have a bank account, have family, and a degree (with transcripts). If things get really serious they will verify that you do not owe any money in taxes etc.

Bottom line, if you have nothing to hide there will be no problem. Just be honest in your interview, they wont consider it a big deal that you have an American girlfriend, they just dont want you to stay in the US and live/work illegally. By showing that you have a degree, some savings and a family you convince them that there is really no need for you to work in the US illegally.

Thank you for answering.

I don't have anything to hide, I just want to be prepared for the interview. I know it's easy for a european to get F1 visa and I'm not going to work there, anyway, during my PhD because I don't have time.

The thing is that I don't know yet if I will look for a (legal) job in Italy or there after my PhD and I don't think that it's so unusual for who goes to study in the U.S.. But they want you to demonstrate that you will come back in your country after graduation, so having a girlfriend from there puts me in a bad position about it.

What I wanted to know is if they asked you what you did during your trips in the states and how deep they go.

My problem is that I have been there for Christmas too and I can't just say that I was there for a normal vacation.