Year off between Masters and PhD - What to do?

collegebum1989

Hey guys,

So my situation is a little odd, but I can try to explain. I did not pursue much research as an undergrad, so I applied to some masters program to build up my application for PhD programs. But I also want to go into industry after my PhD and do not want a research-oriented academic career.

My masters program is only one year, so I am planning on applying after my masters to ensure time to develop substantial research experience, better LOR and a better GPA.

My question is, what should I do in that year in between to maximize my PhD applications? Should I work in another academic laboratory or should I get some industry exoerience?

I know people usually disregard getting a PhD if one does not want to go into academia, but my interest is research and development/executive positions in the biotechnology sector.

I have noticed in my department (aerospace engineering) it seems like quite a few people have the goal of doing an internship or taking some time off to work between a Master's and a PhD. Academia and industry are not separate - many of the professors in my department work very closely with private companies.

Since your goal after getting a PhD is to go into industry, it would be better to get more experience now than to come out of school with over 5 years out of any sort of workplace.