Economic Situation and Admissions

CAPoliSciPhD

So I know we've all mentioned this topic before in some way or another...mostly about the number of applicants probably increasing, but a ton of schools have to cancel hiring faculty (state freezes) bc of the budget crisis...

That got me thinking because many of the schools I applied to only admit people they can fund...which may not be very many this year...I know for a fact it's affecting at least one school in this way....

argh...more apps and less spots - great formula! okay, I've GOT to stop obsessing, right?

To insert some much needed optimism: perhaps a bunch of people who are planning to apply to grad school decide that in this economic climate they should hold onto their current jobs as long as they can, thus reducing the size of the overall pool.

Unlikely, I know.

to continue the optimism...

plenty of people choose to get a graduate degree because their current employer will pay for it. with a poor economy, less companies will be willing to toss around money like this on their employees. so there ya go, even less applicants again!

In my current department, they are dealing with mountains of applications, tons more than normal. On top of that, one of the faculty left last year and the school did not replace them due to budget, so there are actually fewer advisors able to take on new students. In addition, a few of our TAs were cut for next year. FYI, I'm at a huge R1.

I really don't mean to be the bearer of bad news, but just offering a little perspective to prepare you...

Not really worth thinking about, I think...admissions are generally so selective anyway that it won't make that much difference for most of us. If they're taking 4 rather than 5 people out of 100 at a program this year, the likelihood you were number 5 is pretty low.

I did ask someone at one of the schools I'm applying to about this (someone I know not from an admissions-related context), and he said that despite being a state school with huge budget cuts schedule for the system, the department doesn't expect to lose any funding in the near future. So I'm sure it varies by school and department, anyway.

There is another glimmer of hope. Schools, especially state schools, know that budget cuts are looming. And, everyone knows that before a budget cut you try to spend every last penny in your budget so that you can justify your need to avoid the fiscal guillotine next time around. Any schools that have not been hit yet with cuts will try to spend everything they can and also get as many students in as they can while they can.