Chicago MAPSS

jlauerman

Just curious if anybody has information regarding how rigorous admissions are for the MAPSS program. I've had a difficult time gathering any information at all about this.

Haven't taken the GRE yet, that's in November. GPA in my major is 3.6. I have a few extra-curricular activities and a few 'soft' activities that wouldn't hurt. As I understand it, MAPSS is eager to accept people from a variety of academic backgrounds with varying degrees of life experience. On this note, I've worked outside of school in the field I hope to write about for 8 years now.

Please point me in the direction of the thread that might have the answers, or if you have any knowledge you'd like to share I'd be deeply appreciative!

The majority opinion I've seen on this site and others related to grad admissions-- and please note that I'm talking about broad impressions from other people here-- is that MAPPS is a revenue-generating "condolence" program. I haven't ever attended MAPPS and I wouldn't hazard my own impression, but that's what many people say.

From what I understand, the MAPSS program, like any other terminal masters, is what you make of it. It is a "cash cow" but some students get full funding and many of those who do not get full funding still get accepted to very good PhD programs (with full funding) afterward.

Although I did not get accepted by the History program at Chicago in the last application cycle, one of the professors at Chicago in my field (African History) contacted me when she realized that I had been accepted by MAPSS. She offered to supervise me and said specifically that she was "always willing to help anyone who wants to study African history."

She also put me in contact with other MAPSS students she supervised. Many of these students are now at top PhD programs (Chicago, the Michigan joint PhD in Anthropology and History, etc).

She even gave me the contact of a friend of hers who studied for a masters at Oxford and recently completed his PhD at Princeton because I said there was a chance I might attend the LSE for my masters. Needless to say, this professor was extremely helpful and all of her students seemed to adore her.

Ultimately, you just have to see if MAPSS will give you the kind of support you need to reach your goals for the amount money you are spending. $60,000 (for tuition and board) is a lot to spend on a program that does not guarantee entry into a PhD program afterward.

I would have taken the MAPSS offer just to work with that professor if Chicago had offered me more than 1/3rd funding. Luckily I have 75% funding (tuition and board) for the M.Sc. @ LSE, which was my top choice for the masters programs I applied to. Further, studying in London gives me the chance to access the extensive British archives on Africa.

I would apply directly to a PhD program at Chicago if that is what you really want to do. Even if you do not get accepted to the PhD there is a very good chance you will get an offer from MAPSS. If you choose to apply directly to MAPSS thats also great. Just contact the professors in the departments that you would like to work with the most and see if they will supervise MAPSS students and ask to speak to their former students.

Lastly, if you are willing to spend the money for MAPSS, then you should also consider studying in the United Kingdom. The LSE is the most expensive school in the UK for masters programs and the average tuition cost for the upcoming year is £16,512 = $25,327. The cost of board is £12,000 = $18,432. That's $43,759, which is about $3,000 less than the cost of just tuition for MAPSS. That $3,000 can pay for round trip flights to England and a bit of spending money.

Most of the other schools in the UK will cost a lot less than this and there are benefits to having an international degree.

I hope this helps. Good luck on your grad apps.