Guessing within the ranges

Timshel

So, this may go without saying, but if we get a 100 point range, should we assume our actual score will be somewhere in the middle? What is the liklihood, do you think, that we could end up with the very bottom projected score? Just wondering....

I'd say any score on the range is fair game, honestly. However, it's pretty likely that ETS is giving a slightly wider range than the data actually suggest just in case there's some extenuating factor that puts someone's score lower than would have been estimated. They don't want anyone scoring below the range and then complaining to them about it! So I'd say it's possible, but unlikely, that you would have the lowest score on that range.

Here is how I am seeing this happen: Since the score will be on the new scale, it is virtually meaningless where on the range you are. What matters is the percentiles. The range they are giving you is simply the percentile range. So, for instance, if you got 720-800 on the math section, that simply means that you scored in the top 25%.

Now, at some point, ETS will figure out where the top 25% will fall on the new scale. Maybe it will be 160-170. Maybe it will be 155-170, or whatever. Then, depending on the distribution of other scores, they will place you somewhere on the new range.

Well, I know that when they send out the new scores, the report will tell them what that number would have been on the old scale so they understand. They said, for example, that it will list the number you had, say a 135, and then it will have somewhere, like in parentheses or at the bottom, telling them what that number would have been on the old scare, like 550 or whatever it would have been. So, they will actually assign your score to a score on the old scale so that adcoms will know what that means.