PhD in Statistics after Social Sciences Masters

ElanMorin

I am nearing completion of a masters program in a social science. I had begun the program with the intent of applying to PhD programs after completing the masters, but in the course of the program and my professional work in the last two years I have realized I'm much more interested in studying advanced statistics.

So I am now looking at PhD programs in statistics. However, while I've taken a graduate sequence in research methods that included statistics, and have taken math through Calc III, I've found that most graduate programs in statistics require coursework in real analysis, mathematical statistics, and/or probability theory as a prerequisite for admission. My undergraduate degree is also in the social sciences.

So I have two questions:

1.) First, is it totally unreasonable for me to expect a PhD program in statistics to admit me without having either a bachelors or masters degree in math or statistics. Has anyone here been admitted to a program with a similar background?

2.) Second, are there any available ways to take real analysis or other higher level mathematics classes online for a relatively low price? I'm fairly confident that I will do well in those classes if I take them and that will hopefully help my PhD application. But there don't seem to be any math classes offered online beyond Calc III, even at places like University of Illinois NetMath. I feel like there should be a way to take a Real Analysis class without shelling out $3000 for it, since its a pretty standard class that's offered at nearly every university.

Any responses would be very helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

I have my undergrad in math and am pursuing a masters in civil engineering--not too big of a leap. You trying to go from the social sciences to a ph d in stats. is a leap without taking alot of foundation coursework.

Along with that analysis class, you are going to need a bunch of statistics courses. You are not trying to get a masters in statistics you are jumping right into the doctorate; I would be surprised if a school gave you serious consideration.

I would consider open university somewhere then apply to a ph d program after taking a lot of foundation courses.

Most programs also would require the math subject test from the gre. Take a look at that and see how you do.

Edited by CHOCTICK

I am nearing completion of a masters program in a social science. I had begun the program with the intent of applying to PhD programs after completing the masters, but in the course of the program and my professional work in the last two years I have realized I'm much more interested in studying advanced statistics.

So I am now looking at PhD programs in statistics. However, while I've taken a graduate sequence in research methods that included statistics, and have taken math through Calc III, I've found that most graduate programs in statistics require coursework in real analysis, mathematical statistics, and/or probability theory as a prerequisite for admission. My undergraduate degree is also in the social sciences.

So I have two questions:

1.) First, is it totally unreasonable for me to expect a PhD program in statistics to admit me without having either a bachelors or masters degree in math or statistics. Has anyone here been admitted to a program with a similar background?

Yes. It's very unreasonable.

2.) Second, are there any available ways to take real analysis or other higher level mathematics classes online for a relatively low price? I'm fairly confident that I will do well in those classes if I take them and that will hopefully help my PhD application. But there don't seem to be any math classes offered online beyond Calc III, even at places like University of Illinois NetMath. I feel like there should be a way to take a Real Analysis class without shelling out $3000 for it, since its a pretty standard class that's offered at nearly every university.

With classes like Real Analysis, there just isn't enough demand to offer an online section. Nearly all of the students in that class are pursuing a BS in Math and are already attending the university full time. 3k is a lot now, but if that's what it takes to become competitive for PhD programs, IMO it's more than worth it. Just as a warning, don't go in too confident --- it's a very hard class, especially if you decide to take it at UIUC.

My advice (as a 5th year Statistics PhD student) --- don't take real Analysis now. Enroll in an MS in Statistics program ASAP at a good school and try to switch into the PhD program after a year (or whenever the qualifying exam is.) During that first year in the MS program, take Real Analysis as one of your courses. With your background, it will definitely be tough, but not impossible.

Any responses would be very helpful.

Edited by BEAST

I have my undergrad in math and am pursuing a masters in civil engineering--not too big of a leap. You trying to go from the social sciences to a ph d in stats. is a leap without taking alot of foundation coursework.

Along with that analysis class, you are going to need a bunch of statistics courses. You are not trying to get a masters in statistics you are jumping right into the doctorate; I would be surprised if a school gave you serious consideration.

Actually, for a Statistics PhD program you're probably better off with a very strong Math background (Analysis, Linear Algebra etc...) The applied courses are easier and you'll likely have to take them again once youre in the PhD program.

I would consider open university somewhere then apply to a ph d program after taking a lot of foundation courses.

Most programs also would require the math subject test from the gre. Take a look at that and see how you do.

Aside from a few PhD programs (such as UChicago and Stanford), no program requires the subject test. At least that's how it was when I was applying 4/5 years ago. Don't bother taking this test for Stats PhD programs unless you absolutely have to.

• 4 years later...