how to highlight research, & humor me!

tryffelgris

Yes, you really are torturing yourself posting here; there's a reason I haven't posted my stats.

tryffelgris said:

I didn't highlight this paper/presenting business in my statement because it's a bit removed from what I want to concentrate on now.

Are you kidding me? (Hope that doesn't come across too strong...) Socialization into the profession is probably the number one thing I would imagine that adcoms look for after some general sense of fit (of course like everything this is conjecture). The majority of my research is not only out of subfield but out of discipline - and I was sure to highlight it. Soc applicants aren't expected to know exactly what they really want to do before the second year at earliest, and publishing like this is a really big deal for undergrads in our discipline. As for notifying programs, that's a tough call... I would ask one of my letter-writers rather than take any advice dispersed in this forum. Maybe one of your recommenders would agree to send it as an addendum to their letter, so you don't have to worry about coming across personally however you're worried about coming across as (can't think of the word). Frankly, your co-author should be pulling every string he can for you, given how much you probably paid to attend a top-5 liberal arts school.

BTW, were you an Honors Program student at ASA this year?

Now for good news - as for your chances, I'd bet on you getting a couple admits minimum. Your GRE's are respectable.

I was a research assistant for two professors, but at a liberal arts school and not really doing anything too interested...so that was just a line on my resume. I co-authored an article with one of my undergrad professors (based on my thesis) and I presented it at the American Sociological Association. I listed that in my resume as well, and noted that the paper was under review at journals.

It's shocking to me that you don't think these things were worth more than a line on your resume. I only have research experience since July 08, but I explained in my SoP what the program does and how I've been able to contribute. It's not directly relevant to my subfield, but it's been a sociological learning experience (then again, what isn't?).

As usual, I don't know much about the specific universities you're applying to, but I would definitely think you'd be accepted to at least half of them.

Sigh.

Thanks for the constructive criticism (and for humoring me). Yeah, I don't know what my problem was. I hate writing these personal statements, I just feel like a complete tool. I probably spend way too much time writing about what I'm interested in studying (really that was the bulk of my essay). But that was the part I was actually excited about. Alas. What did you guys/ladies say about your research experience?

I'll ask my recommenders about the updating thing. But the problem is that they just don't seem to know much about grad admissions.

And new development. Just found out I'm going to be included in the "Who's Who" section of the main research network that provides resources for academics/professionals on work/family issues (I co-founded a non-profit that deals with these issues and the head of the org is on our advisory board). Wish I had known earlier. To update or not to update? I really lean toward "no" on being pushy like this usually, but I also want places to know I'm really interested...?

I guess I'm leaning toward a quick update letter. It would just say that I got a R&R, this "Who's Who" thing, and that i got an A in a grad level statistics class I was taking this semester on the side (I asked for a transcript, but it might not be processed for a bit). Thoughts? Good idea or bad? Be brutal.

(And I was not an Honors Program student at ASA.)

Well, don't despair too much, a lot of soc applicants don't spend enough time laying out a coherent research agenda (from what I understand) and while your SOP probably could have been more balanced, your research background will probably shine through via the substantive expertise you showcase. Those three items are probably worthy of an addendum. Sending something might also help assure your programs that you're self-assertive enough to be competitive for publications/external funding/job market/academic careers in general. But be quick - most of the places you've applied are probably already reviewing applications or will be within the next two weeks.

But the problem is that they just don't seem to know much about grad admissions.

Well, I was just in one of my mentors' offices today talking about the applications we're getting for our own program (I'm not applying), and one of the things he said hurts a lot of our applicants is that many are coming from SLAC's and are submitting recommendations from people who don't really seem to have a strong idea of what the big R1's are looking for... in general, I think you really need to educate your mentors as much as you can, especially if they haven't been actively engaged in research for a while. So, I guess at least you're not alone.