Caught in a Bad Project!

analyzer

I've been in a lab for 18 months. I have some findings, but really can't develop a story around it. I'm working on the function of a novel gene product - can't seem to find any "important" function yet. I have another project in the lab that I am working on with someone else. I have no publications. I have presented my work, however. I was thinking on waiting for another six months and see how it goes before talking to my advisor about whether to call it quits or not. Has anyone else faced a similar situation?

Personally, I wouldn't go with either of your extremes:

I don't think it's necessarily time to give up on it yet, but I think you should definitely sit down with your advisor and see what they think. Maybe they can help you set some concrete goals/objectives for the next 6 months to help determine whether they project should be continued or not.

As for having no pubs, that really depends on the specifics of your area, as well as your project. For instance, what I'm working on, the initial results are taking longer than I'd like, but if I can get it working, I should be able to relatively easily branch out from that point for multiple publications- the first result is rate limiting, so to speak- your project might be like that, or it might not- your advisor is the best person to help you decide.

Did you say bad project?

Seriously though, I agree with Eigen. Have a talk with your adviser about the progress of your work. He or she should be the best person to give you advice on what you should do in this situation.

• 3 weeks later...