MA applying for PhD 2012 - Late modern

tob

Hey if anyone has any suggestions on where to apply or who to study with I am looking to expand my application pool. At this point I feel like with Modern and Contemporary art the field is so divided between identity politics and heavy theory that it is hard to find someone in the middle. Any suggestions????

And then there are would-be avisors who are deep in both critical theory AND identity politics - what's a hopeful scholar to do?! I have heard that you don't necessarily have to align with a professor's methodology and that you can still thrive as long as the POI really knows the topic that you're working on... but as a lowly applicant, I'm happy to be corrected on this point. I imagine it makes a huge difference depending on whether or not your POI has a generous and open attitude about divergent methodologies. I'm sure it would make life a lot easier to be on the same wavelength.

Do you have any geographic restrictions? If you can give me an idea of what direction you'd like to take in your future research, I might be able to throw out some names. What projects did you not have a chance to work on in your MA program that you've been chomping at the bit to attack?

I have been working on historiography, looking at the function/use/rejection of conceptualist aesthetics, humor, and also artists looking towards art history in post-minimalism/conceptualism. I know that is still super vague...

Geographically, no real restrictions. Ideally I would like to be in a city but the program is the highest priority.

Any ideas would be helpful! Thanks!

OK, how about Stanford, Princeton, Michigan and CUNY? Your fallbacks could be Rutgers, Emory (they're getting a new contemporary person), maybe Rochester if you decide to go heavy into theory.

• 3 weeks later...