What's the deal with Cornell?

obscurefemale

Very, very simple answer:

Most people who have very little idea about graduate school or the process of pursuing graduate school naively think that the reputation a school has for their undergraduate curriculum is the same for their graduate program. Thus, Harvard and Yale should, theoretically, be the best graduate programs, followed closely by the other Ivies (including Cornell). Cornell is probably the best example of this fallacy since it's an Ivy but its graduate program is not the best on many terms, which is why it is repeated so often.

Edited by fullofpink

Well, I don't know about their Art History program, but I know that I'm in love with Cornell's English program. Though I hate to admit it (for fear that I won't be admitted), it's currently my top choice program--not for prestige reasons or because it's an Ivy, but because of the faculty there and their relation to my primary interests. I've heard the same thing--about the grad program not being the best--for just about every Ivy out there, including Yale and Harvard, for various reasons and various programs. It's really all subjective, and one program is going to inherently be "better" or "worse" than others in different areas and for different reasons. Again, it all boils down to fit. That keeps getting crammed down my throat, but I'm coming to believe in it more and more.

Right...but that doesn't exactly answer my question. What are those terms?

You might be hard-pressed to find someone who is going to qualify that statement for you.

In short, the reason Cornell gets some flack is because of the applicant's perception that the Ivies are untouchable and their prestige overrides their curriculum at the graduate level - this is very untrue. Cornell has a good program, it just doesn't hold the weight of the name as its undergraduate reputation - the same with nearly every other school.

Honestly, if you think Cornell is a perfect fit for you - then GO FOR IT. They probably offer the same financial packages and advantages that other schools offer, and if they have a faculty member YOU want to study with, then don't worry about the reputation - only care about the opportunities they can offer YOU. In fact, that reputation (and example) is only tossed around on this forum - I've never heard anyone comment on any school (except maybe Harvard, but it's mostly in jest. Or, if they comment on a school it's because a certain professor is there, it's not really about the program itself unless the professor was HIGHLY influential) in my professional or academic life in a way that would make me turn away." Rankings like these really do not matter if the fit is perfect for you.