Match between graduate discipline and teachers' disciplines

Waffle

Hi,

Let me explain my situation.

I'm planning to candidate for a master in International Affairs with a focus on investment and finance. I'm currently in my last year of undergraduate pursuing a dual bachelor in Political Science and Economics & Business administration.

Most programs ask for 3 letter of recommendation; for the moment I have one professional LOR and probably a second from a political sociology teacher. However, I'm confronted with a dilemna for the third LOR.

Here are my options:

- a philosophy teacher with whom I've had 2 courses (one lecture and one seminar); he knows me well and graded several of my papers so I think it could result in a strong LOR

- a political science teacher with whom I've had 1 course (a lecture); I tried to partcipate as much as possible and I think a LOR from him would not be weak but it would definitely be less personal and fitted than one from the philosophy teacher.

I must thus choose between a strong LOR from a teacher who's completely outside of the discipline I'm aiming for, and a less strong and personal LOR from a LOR within my discipline.

So what's your take: which one should I prefer?

Thank you in advance and good luck to all of you!

I'd go with the Prof who knows you best and would write the stronger letter. Besides, the skills you need to do well in philosophy are just as important in politics science.

In 99% of cases, I'd advise you to choose the person who knows you and your work best. Choose the professor outside your discipline.

I seriously doubt adcoms would expect every one of your letters to come from your proposed field of study, as you are coming from your undergraduate degree, where you took a range of courses.