Bioengineering Grad School/Career Options

ahmak

Hey guys, this is my first time posting here at thegradcafe and I am in dire need of advice. I currently attend UC San Diego and am in my 4th and final year in the Bioengineering: Bioengineering program but my cumulative GPA is seriously lacking at around a 2.9-3.0. My GRE scores are not finalized yet since I took the new GRE but the ranges for my scores were Q:750-800, V: 600-700. Should I even be considering graduate school, and if so, what sort of recommendations do you guys have for schools that I should be aiming for.

The only thing I may have going for me is my research experience and letters of recommendation. I have been working actively for more than a year now at the UCSD Microhemodynamics Lab although I have not been part of any publications. In terms of letters, I have 2 very strong letters and 1 average letter from different faculty members of the Bioengineering Department.

Do you guys think I should be reconsidering my goals? Should I maybe try and apply next year instead for Fall 2013 after trying my best to increase my GPA? Or do you guys think I should start considering going straight into industry? Are the schools in the top 20 completely out of reach for me realistically? I know I shouldn't give up hope, but I am in serious need of some advice.

Thanks for your time!

Edited by ahmak

Your GPA is right on the cusp of the minimum requirement for some schools. Your GRE scores are good, and you seem to have good research experience (I don't think not having a publication is a big deal, because it can take a long time to get a publication). All you can do is try and see. We really don't know that much about the admissions process. Just because some of us are in grad school doesn't make the process any more clear to us.