Writing sample for MA

pianoise

Hi, I'm expecting to apply for MA programs in Philosophy (Political Philosophy) for the 2012-13 class, and I have a question for the writing sample.

To simply introduce myself, I graduated with a double major in political science and comparative literature with a thesis reflecting on the state-people relationship using materials from Hegel and Confucius. After looking around for programs of interest, I found out that quite a number of terminal MA programs (at least the ones that I'm applying to) expect a writing sample. I've also heard that philosophy programs put more importance in the sample than the GRE, transcript, etc.

My question is: do they look more at the logical structure of the paper, or does the content matter? I'm assuming its the former, but I thought I should still ask, because at this point of time it's still feasible, though not appealing, to write a new writing sample that deals with matters what someone doing political philosophy might consider. By feasible I mean I have the time and the resources, plus a professor who would guide me in my writing.

I'm guessing a possible answer could be "if you can do it, sure, why not?", but is it really necessary? Should I really rewrite, if possible? I mean, these MA programs seem to be not expecting prior background in Philosophy (according to their websites) but do they expect a writing sample that concerns certain topics in Philosophy? I'll do it if it is absolutely crucial, but if the new sample only affects little, then I think I'll just stick with my old sample and work more on the SOPs.

This year, NIU, for example, admitted 15 students from 130 applicants and only 5 received funding. It is extremely competitive, even at the MA level. You writing sample should demonstrate that you have a strong grasp of philosophy, and are a capable philosopher. Both the content and the logical structure matter, and both should be very good.

Thanks. NIU is one of my top choices, I'll take note of that.

Just wondering, if MA programs already expect "a strong grasp of philosophy", then what do PhD programs expect? I'm asking this because I had been led to think that the terminal MA programs exist to help students (with or without background in Philosophy) apply to PhD in Philosophy. If I already had enough background in Philosophy, I'd better try to apply towards a direct PhD to go for their funding, right? Which leads me to a related question: is it common for students without formal background in Philosophy to enroll in a MA program? Or are MAs just safety bets for PhD applicants since Philosophy PhD is so hard to get in?

To add on, I'm currently looking at MAs at Tufts, Brandeis, NIU for Philosophy, as well as NSSR and NYU for either Philosophy or Political Science.

Edited by pianoise

You're going about this completely the wrong way. First of all, you're not getting into NYU for philosophy and NSSR offers horrible funding. Your best chance is an MA program.

Unfortunately, you're applying to the wrong ones.

For political, you're going to want to go to either GSU or UWM. UWM in particularly has an impressive placement record, and they're more likely to be sympathetic to your writing sample (though I would still advise against a writing sample on Confucius and Hegel, if you have something else available). You might also want to consider LSU, which fits your interests and background quite well, but their placement isn't very good.

Brandeis was initially designed for people who actually went to Brandeis, so while it's advertised as a 1 year program, you won't be getting out of there in one year if you're coming from a different university.

NIU is very analytic and with your sample, it is unlikely you'll get in. It doesn't matter though, because they're a horrible fit for you if you want to do political philosophy.

Despite (very) impressive placement, the funding package at Tufts is horrible. Unless you're independently wealthy, expect to go in debt. It is not worth going in debt for a PhD program, never mind an MA program. Also not a good fit for you anyway.

As for expecting a strong grasp of philosophy, just because they don't require you to have a BA in the topic doesn't mean they don't want you to understand the topic through, say, independent study. The point is to take students who would get in to PhD programs if they had the right background and give them that background.

Thanks again for the feedback. I think I now basically have a grasp of what I should do, but I was wondering at what you meant by "not a good fit". Is it a judgment based on my interests (Hegel and Confucius) as shown in the writing sample? Or is it a judgment based on my decision to go for 'Political Philosophy' (i.e., those schools are not good for Political Philosophy)?

(Just fyi, while Hegel and Confucius are interesting, they are by no means my research interests in the future. I plan to develop and solidify my interests later in the MA, (preferably a program known for analytic traditions) and it is one of the reason why I'm applying to a MA before a PhD. Currently I may say I have interests in the ancient lit. of Plato and Aristotle, and topics from metaphysics and philosophy of religion interest me as well, but nothing is that well-structured out for me yet as I'd like it to be.)

Edited by pianoise

I see. Could you please recommend some other programs that has more fit with Political Philosophy, although not necessarily with Hegel/Confucius? Fortunately, funding issue is resolved at the moment as I got to secure some scholarship from an external organization, so it doesn't matter greatly if the school provides funding or not.

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

If you're willing to go to the UK, consider the MA "Philosophy and Public Policy" at the LSE. There is a similar program at UCL, too. Both are top schools for political philosophy (cf. Leiter). Albeit, these programs won't give you a broad background in philosophy. If you want to have this and study at world class top university for political philosophy, I would go for the MA "Philosophy" at UCL. It's very unlikely to get funding for MAs in the UK. On the other hand, tuition fees are probably much lower than in the US.

• 2 months later...