MASc in Electrical Engineering - Which school?

NikolaTesla

Hey everyone,

I know this forum is dominated by discussion regarding US universities, but I'd be very appreciative if some people could give me advice. I'm currently pursuing my undergrad in Electrical Engineering (specializing in power systems) at the University of Waterloo.

As you can tell from the title, I'm thinking of pursuing a MASc in electrical engineering, but I want some opinions to help guide my decision.

I've been looking at university rankings and reading a lot of forums to get a general feel of which schools I should look at, and it seems like the main choices (in Canada at least) fall between UofT, UBC, and Waterloo (not because it's my alma mater, but because it supposedly has a sizeable power systems group).

But, to be honest, I'm not too sure what to look for - or where to look - past this. I know there's only a small chance that any of the readers have gone to these schools, but I'm just looking for general tips on how to shop around for a good engineering grad school.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there, I am also looking at programs in EE, my area of interest is sustainability. I'd say first identify the research area you are interested in, then seek the best professors in the field, and lastly apply to the schools where those professors teach. I can't stress enough how much the name of the Professors you work with matters, way more than the name of the school.