Pls evaluate my profile for '12 MPA - are my target schools realistic?

Sammy22

Hi everyone,

I am in the processing of applying to MPA programs for next fall, and I am curious if I am a competitive candidate for my prospective schools. Feel free to recommend any other MPA programs in the Mid-Atlantic or Southeast.

Thanks!

Schools Considering: UGA, UNC, American, Virginia Tech, William & Mary, (maybe another smaller NC school: ECU, UNC-Charlotte, etc.)

Undergraduate Institution: small regional university in the South

Undergraduate GPA: 3.27 cumulative

B.A. Political Science – 3.6

B.S. Business Administration: Management – 3.0

GRE scores (unofficial ranges): Verbal: 560-660, Quant: 570-670, my AW should be really good...hopefully 5.0ish

Years out of undergrad: 3

Work Experience: I have worked for a U.S. Senator in the state office(s) for all of my post-undergrad work. My work has been in various capacities and I currently do economic development work for the Senator.

Professional Training: Attended the Basic Economic Development Course at UNC-Chapel Hill. This is a multi-day course designed for economic development professionals to sharpen their skills. It is certified by the International Economic Development Council (IEDC) and it goes towards the curriculum requirements for becoming a certified economic developer (CEcD).

Relevant Internship Experience: 1) U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Legislative Affairs 2) Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions (HELP)

Other extracurriculars: Volunteer sports coach for young kids at local parks & rec department. Volunteer at undergrad university’s Office of Multicultural & Minority Affairs. Participated in Model Arab League throughout college and competed in various Model Arab League competitions across the country.

Strength of SOP: Should be good, as I feel that I have very good and relevant work experience. I have an interesting life story that I think meshes well with my current work experience and future career aspirations.

Strength of LOR’s: 2 will come from former professors, one of which was an academic advisor and who led extracurricular activities. The other is a public administration professor who can vouch for my academic potential in the field. My 3rd LOR will come from my boss, which should be excellent in content.

Quant & Related coursework: Microeconomics (C-), Macroeconomics (A), Business Stats I (B+), Calculus (B ), Managerial Economics (B+), Business Stats II (A), Public Policy & Analysis (A-), Intro to Theory & Methods (A-)

Desired MPA focus: Economic development, community development

Diversity: Underrepresented minority (American Indian)

OTHER:

-Good professional level Spanish speaker, and previously worked as a Spanish translator at a pediatric health clinic during undergrad.

-I attended undergrad on a full, 4-year academic scholarship.

-Although I work for a U.S. Senator, my future career interests are not necessarily legislative, and I would prefer to remain at the local/state level as a public administrator.

-I know my GPA and GRE Quant score are low, but I hope my experience in various econ and stats classes through my business degree coursework will make up for my low numbers. My business degree also afforded me the opportunity to take numerous management courses (HR Management, Organizational Leadership, Organization & Management, etc.), which would presumably be relevant to the public administration discipline.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey. Something I've learned when it comes to anything academic is "You never know unless you apply!" So I think you're right in thinking that your life experience will help offset your good - but not amazing - academic history. If you're looking for small-ish but hugging the East Coast, you could also consider Seton Hall University in New Jersey. (http://www.shu.edu/academics/artsci/mpa/index.cfm)

Best of luck!