Chances of Getting into a PHD program for History?

kenningsa

If funding is not an issue than an MA might be the way to go. That said, I am living proof that your undergrad institution is much less a factor than most people think, including Sigaba (IMHO).

I started at a community college and finished at a four-year city-based regional, commuter college and now I'm doing my PhD at Yale. I worried about my undergrad institution hurting me initially, but, in fact, three people from my undergrad history department got into Yale (2) and one to Princeton. One got into Michigan and another to KU, and the year before one got into Harvard. All funded PhDs, not MAs.

My sense is that Ivy League-type schools welcome candidates from outside the usual suspects especially as a means of diversifying cohorts. That said, the majority of my cohort here are from top undergrads (Stanford, Berkely, Columbia, etc...). Nevertheless, your undergrad institution's reputation will not take away from the quality of your work, which is why your writing sample and SOP need to be as strong as possible.

All this is not to say that pedigree plays no role. It does, though I think that it is diminishing. Either way, the doors to top PhD programs are absolutely NOT closed to worthy candidates from mid, lower, or even unranked public colleges and universities.

That's quite a story. I'm glad that there's hope for anyone exceptional candidate no matter the institution.

Without trying to hijack this thread, I do have a similar question.

I had a rough time (personally/medically) during my undergrad. I switched majors and came away with an overall GPA of 3.0 (71%). In History, it was something like 3.3 (76%). And in my final year or so, I finished very strong.

I am currently in the first year of an MA, and I'm doing quite well. I have great reference letters, and I know that I will be able to write an excellent SOP. Likewise, I'm sure that, when I'm ready to apply, I will have a very good writing sample ready for submission.

Ever since turning things around and really getting into my schoolwork, I've had dreams of going to a "big" program (my interests are fairly well represented at almost all top schools). That said, I wonder if my low undergrad marks are going to disqualify me from these sorts of programs? Seeing as how I do not have the marks to 'wow' an application committee, should I wait until my thesis is finished before applying to the schools I'm interested in? Will doing a second MA (one-year this time) help my cause, in that it might allow me to get some more strong marks under my belt?

Thanks, Gradcafe!

Edited by LandWhale

your MA GPA will be weighted much more heavily than your undergrad because it will be evidence that you can do graduate work. once you get the MA, the undergrad GPA is always much less of a factor, so your top schools could still be within your reach. in general, i think it's best to wait until the MA is done to apply for the PhD so you can use your MA thesis as your writing sample, but if you'll have a draft of your thesis that your advisor thinks is strong enough for a writing sample during the second year of your MA, it doesn't hurt to apply then either. just be prepared for possibly needing to apply again if things don't pan out the first time through.