Wanting to get a MA (and eventually a PhD) in anthropology...not sure where to apply?

klperrigo

I know I'll be applying to Indiana University in my home state, but it's a pretty competitive program and I'm not sure if I'll get in.

I've also thought about New Mexico State University, but I need to think of a couple other schools. I'm just so stuck. :(

I've currently got a 3.2 GPA but I expect that to raise a bit this semester. I'm fairly certain I can write a strong statement of purpose and I will get good recommendations. I haven't taken the GRE yet but I'm going to in early December. I have worked at the archaeology labs in my school since I was a freshman (also participated in shovel tests and pedestrian surveys), I currently have an internship doing the NAGPRA inventory of human skeletal remains and I have had several "hands-on" classes, including one where I helped design an exhibit and I'm a member of Lambda Alpha. I have had a couple of withdrawals (one last semester, one this semester). I will be graduating in May, 2012.

What I need are some "safe" schools. Schools that I would probably be able to get into. Or even schools that I have a moderate chance of getting into. If it's out of state, I would prefer schools that are as cheap as out of state can be. I like warm weather too, but that's not a requirement. :)

If anyone could help me out with some ideas for graduate school it would be greatly appreciated!

*Wanting to study either bioarchaeology in Central/South America or human paleontology.

Edited by klperrigo

There is no such thing as a safe school. Every school is competitive. How you get in is based on your interest. You have a higher chance of getting in if your interest align with the person you want to work with.

Okay, how about I rephrase my original statement to, "Are there any smallish, cheap schools, that aren't top-tier, with decent anthropology programs, that you would suggest to someone with a 3.2 GPA who likes bioanth?"

Okay, how about I rephrase my original statement to, "Are there any smallish, cheap schools, that aren't top-tier, with decent anthropology programs, that you would suggest to someone with a 3.2 GPA who likes bioanth?"

I'm not exactly sure what you're going for. Graduate programs in anth are not really just something you do if you like bio anthro and are looking at a next step in school. Even for an MA program, although there's a lot more leeway since you don't necessarily have to have a specific direction in your research.

I would spend some time thinking about what it is that you want to end up doing, the kinds of research questions you want to ask, and what sort of methods you might end up using. For bioanth, I could imagine it would be really important to end up at a school with people that work on NAGPRA, if you're interested in that. Where you get your MA ultimately could determine where you can get into a PhD. If you go to an MA school that doesn't have expertise in the area where you decide you'd like to continue your research, how are you going to prove to PhD programs that you're a strong candidate? How do you make the connections with faculty members that matter (in that they are on top of the field and know the schools and faculty you'll be applying to work with further)?

One of the best ways to find schools is to look at articles or books that you've really liked recently or that you find yourself using a lot. Where do those people work? What are their recent projects? If you can find a way to pitch yourself and show that your experience and interests match their needs, a lower GPA won't matter that much. It sounds like you do have some hands-on experience that could be useful and may even justify funding an RA position. Don't limit yourself on tuition in this search; even some MA programs have decent funding.

Sorry I don't just have a list of schools to throw out there, but it's never quite as easy as that.

Edit: I forgot to add, ask your professors! They might know people or places you should apply. One professor in particular is the reason I got in where I did and all because she knew someone who ran a program.

Edited by jennyb

Texas State just celebrated the opening of a huge forensic anthropology lab (on Freeman Ranch which has a huge body farm) and you might want to contact some of bio or forensic anthropology professors at the department and tailor your interests towards their research. They are pretty approachable!

I forgot to add, ask your professors!

Yeah, I should probably do that. I've been a bit stupid about this whole thing. It's my senior year and I hardly have anything for grad school done because I'm so indecisive about where to apply (and indecisive about everything else). I am just hesitant to waste money at universities that I'm worried won't accept me.

Texas State just celebrated the opening of a huge forensic anthropology lab (on Freeman Ranch which has a huge body farm) and you might want to contact some of bio or forensic anthropology professors at the department and tailor your interests towards their research. They are pretty approachable!

Thanks, I'll take a look at their department! :)

Every school will post their min. gpa required. Once you meet that your good on that front. Fit and sop are the most important things. I can give you a list of 50 school but only you know what your interest are and what's important. I recommend going to the results board under anthropology and looking at every school and deciding that way.

I think I've finally narrowed down my list. It took looking on Wikipedia for every university in each state, then comparing and contrasting schools. Regardless, I've got that out of the way and I've moved on to talking with my professors, e-mailing the professors at other unis for advice, and now I've got my GRE to focus on. :)

Have you looked into Ball State? Just a warning: With a 3.2 GPA, some schools might not even look at your SOP and letters, however strong they are. Big schools like IU receive so many applications, so GRE and GPA are quick ways to deselect applicants.