Dealing with statistics?

Hi I'm an international student applying for Communication Phd programs this year.

I'm actually very curious to know how communication Phd students deal with math or statistics.

As I'm interested in quantitative research I know I should be able to deal with statistics

but math and statistics have never been my strongest area. I am familiar with very (that means really very :( ) basic statistics though.

Do Phd programs offer statistics courses that I can follow up or are statistical knowledge and application skills something required as soon as I start?

Since starting a Phd program is a big investment I'd really like to know how all of you prepared or how you are all trying to deal with statistics during the Phd program.

Thanks in advance! :)

I have experience in political science, not comm, but from my very limited comm experience poli sci is a more stats-heavy discipline in general. In my entering class, which contained two master's students and six or seven PhD students, I would say overall we possessed very basic stats knowledge (maybe on the level of one, possibly two, undergrad stats courses). I had taken a semester of calculus but never taken statistics. Our program's research methods sequence was set up to start with a very basic stats course and work up from there - and it was not difficult at all.

I imagine comm to be similar; of course it probably depends a lot on what school and type of program you apply to, but all the course requirement lists I've seen include some stats-based research methods courses that should teach what you need. I haven't seen any programs that have stats prereq requirements, either.

I have experience in political science, not comm, but from my very limited comm experience poli sci is a more stats-heavy discipline in general. In my entering class, which contained two master's students and six or seven PhD students, I would say overall we possessed very basic stats knowledge (maybe on the level of one, possibly two, undergrad stats courses). I had taken a semester of calculus but never taken statistics. Our program's research methods sequence was set up to start with a very basic stats course and work up from there - and it was not difficult at all.

I imagine comm to be similar; of course it probably depends a lot on what school and type of program you apply to, but all the course requirement lists I've seen include some stats-based research methods courses that should teach what you need. I haven't seen any programs that have stats prereq requirements, either.

Thanks Clarisse09! :) You've been a lot of help. The history of Communication as a scholarly field hasn't been long, so I'm pretty sure it deals with less complicated statistics compared to sociology or psychology. Still, the articles I read these days are using more and more sophisticated statistical tools which makes me kind of uneasy :(. Oh well, hope I can build up my basis when I get into the program! Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Do Phd programs offer statistics courses that I can follow up or are statistical knowledge and application skills something required as soon as I start?

Hello Iamhere,

Many Universities with premier Communication/ Communication Research programs also offer Statistics programs with "concentrations" or even dual-masters in social statistics, or at the very least those programs will have one or two courses in quantitative methodologies.

For example, I know the University of Washington has a Center for Statistics and the Social Sciences, and similar programs are not uncommon. --> http://www.csss.washington.edu/