geographic location of grad program / subject of dissertation

Hello. I'm applying to interdisciplinary PhD programs in various parts of the U.S., but want to write about a specific city in the states and its environs for my dissertation.

I've noticed that when scholars who do work related to urban studies publish their dissertations as books, those books are often focused on the cities where their programs are located or are nearest. So, someone who writes about Chicago, for instance, will've received a degree from a school in or close to Chicago.

My problem is that I'm drawn to these programs because their faculty includes people who do work in critical theory, cultural studies, and urban studies -- but I've never even visited most of the cities the programs are located in. I'm trying to figure out what to say in my SOP.

Obviously, people receive degrees from universities in the states, but write dissertations on other countries. Yet, just from personal observation, the same doesn't seem to apply when it comes to work on American cities. Any thoughts?

Edited by mumbojumbo