Changing your list of schools/programs (after contacting a letter writer)?

Hi all,

So, I'm applying for masters in mental health counseling programs this fall (most of the deadlines are Jan 15th and later). Many PhD programs in this field, I've found, require a masters beforehand. However, some will consider you for the PhD program, and, if rejected, automatically consider you for their masters program.

I was planning on applying to 6 masters programs- however, long story short, I kind of want to apply to a PhD program or two to see what happens (after getting several different opinions about the idea). This would mean that I'd have to finish my applications by Dec. 1 rather than Jan 15th.

The problem: I've already contacted two out of three of my letter writers very recently. They'd still have plenty of time to write the letter (5 weeks), and it would still be to the same programs (just for the PhD, not the Masters program). Is this kosher? Will it make me look flakey to my letter writers?

Any advice here would really be appreciated. :)

I don't see why adding two PhD programs to your list of schools should make you look flaky. Just let them know that you added the programs and ask if they can submit their letters by the new deadlines. If you're close with them you could also use the opportunity to ask about your acceptance chances and whether they would recommend any other schools, now that you're also considering PhD programs and not only Masters ones.

I heard back from one of mine very quickly, and was really supportive. The other is on sabbatical and I have yet to hear back from- in her original email she told me to contact her a week before the applications were due, so I think I'll just send her a reminder before the due dates if I don't hear anything. ;) Good luck with yours!