Need help

Rad

I discovered this site recently and it is a great one and I have learned so much, so here is the Readers Digest version of my story, in my late 30's and decided to go back to university in order to acquire a Phd in political science. I have a masters and I am currently working as a high school teacher, I have contacted the schools I am interested in to inquire about who is an appropriate writer for a letter of recommendation. I was told that a work supervisor is fine, so the principal at my school and department all have told me they are glad to give me one. This is where the problem starts, a 3rd one.

Now I thought that an academic reference from a former professor would be advantageous to have, I have contacted an undergrad professor and my masters dissertation supervisor, and both have vague memory of me because I graduated in 1999, with the supervisor saying he would be glad to help in principal but not sure how. This is where I turn to anyone for advice here, what would you do? I did research in Russia in a think tank but that supervisor is nowhere to be found. I am upset and unsure of what to do.

Your masters dissertation supervisor seems like a great start. He says he would be glad to help, so that's a start. I think when he says he's "not sure how" he doesn't know what to write since it's been 12 years. You can fill him in by letting him know what you've been doing, what you want the letter to highlight, what you want to study.

Macchiato that's a good start, I did send him a copy of my resume and an excerpt from the dissertation he supervised, so what you are saying is that give him an outline of what I have done and what I want to do?

Basically ask him what he would need from you to be able to write a strong letter. As he was previously your supervisor he knows that you were a good student/academic back then, you need to show him that you still are and how you have been doing that. He might even want you to write a first draft for him to edit (although I wouldn't suggest this to him directly, instead I would offer to help him write the letter in any way he requires and see what he requests)

this is some great advice, I really thought this was a wasted opportunity, I could provide another reference letter from another department head from work but I felt an academic one would be stronger, and factor in it has been 12 years and that professor must see hundreds of students a year, one can begin to understand his situation. Has anyone else been in this situation before or know of anyone that has?