Joint work

fuzzylogician

This is a question for those of you who are in the lab sciences (or if you otherwise often have co-authors): suppose you have a joint project with 1-2 other students and a professor who is the PI, where you are the first author on any papers that come out of the project. When you submit to conferences, it's very clear that all the contributors are co-authors on the work. Now suppose the PI is invited to give a talk, and spends the entire time talking about your joint project. Do you expect that (s)he will: [a] include you as a co-presenter or put you in the acknowledgements; and, do you expect that (s)he will let you know that (s)he presented your joint work, either before or after the presentation? I suspect that there may be different norms in different fields but still I wonder if there are some accepted conventions here.

This is a question for those of you who are in the lab sciences (or if you otherwise often have co-authors): suppose you have a joint project with 1-2 other students and a professor who is the PI, where you are the first author on any papers that come out of the project. When you submit to conferences, it's very clear that all the contributors are co-authors on the work. Now suppose the PI is invited to give a talk, and spends the entire time talking about your joint project. Do you expect that (s)he will: [a] include you as a co-presenter or put you in the acknowledgements; and, do you expect that (s)he will let you know that (s)he presented your joint work, either before or after the presentation? I suspect that there may be different norms in different fields but still I wonder if there are some accepted conventions here.

[a] If it's the type of talk that has co-presenters, yes, but invited talks often don't have a list of presenters, so I would expect . I would also expect him/her to let me know about it before the presentation, and ask me if I wanted to provide input.