Operating systems research: what are my changes?

hellmean

Hi all,

I am an international applicant. I have a BS in Mathematics, and an MS in Finance from a reputable Russian University (considered to be among top 5 in russia for Math). I have a poor GPA because I started working since my first year. Will this be relevant by the way since this was a Russian school?

I have 4 yrs of working experience for a world leading accounting and consulting firm (it may be a bit controversial, I know). I am currently based in Russia where I am the leader of data assurance and complex business data analysis group. I am considered to be the leading person in this data analysis thing and will receive good recommendations from partners and directors (they have CS background). I also have professional qualification in Accounting as well (I had a strange career really).

My GRE is estimated at 750-800 Q and 540-640 V.

I did some tiny bit of research in my University. Specifically I have some experience with linux drives programming and microkernels, L4 and MACH. But, I have no publications at all and is not listed on any projects. I also have working knowledge of some 12 computer languages.

I figured I have no chance of getting into top 10 or even top 20 programs.

So I want to apply for a PhD at Yale (which is ranked exactly 20th). I found one professor there who is doing exactly the thing I dreamed all my life. This would be the perfect fit (I am now reading recent reaserch paperers in the field and think to write a letter to this professor in a couple of days).

I also consider UC Santa Cruz for various reasons. But apart from that I don't know any other good school for operating systems (and microkernels) research.

Could you recommend a school (PhD program)? and what are my changes at Yale?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by hellmean

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, Since you are interested in operating systems work(me too! quite rare. hard finding people these days), try the following places

Vrije University (Andy Tenenbaum is here! heard of minix?)

Suny Stony Brook (quite active OS group file systems and all.)

UNC-CH (not exactly OS work but realtime systems work that includes playing with kernels. Good value for a degree from here)

There are more but I can't remember them off the top of my head. Do keep looking though and post here if you find anyone.