Re: SLP applying to/attending Worcester State?

HikerGrl

Has anyone applied to or attended Worcester State? I would appreciate any information that could be provided about the program. Also does anyone know if they interview? Some sources I've found on their site say they do and others say they might. I just want to know if I should start to prepare myself for the expense of a visit as I'm from out of state.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a friend who goes there, though I'm not sure about the interview requirement. I do know that 1st year MS students don't get to start clinic until second semester, whereas most schools have you start at the beginning of your first semester. Any particular reason why you are interested in Worcester State? Last year, I applied to several schools in MA, all in Boston though. Worcester wasn't really a place I wanted to live in.

I really need a program that has a part time option and cost entered into it too. I lived in MA for about 10 years before I moved out of state. I really want to get back into MA but can't afford Emerson or Northeastern.

I'm not crazy about Worcester but, if I get in, I'll live somewhere nearby but not in the city itself. I don't have any undergrad clinic hour, so in a way I'll be glad to get settled in a bit before starting clinic. It would be pretty stressful for me to start at a new school and have the stress of clinic for the first time! I'm a wimp! :o)

Does your friend like it there?

She does like it and has found living to be much more affordable than Boston. I can understand the need for a part-time program, there are so few out there! I chose to go to U of Wisconsin-Madison because they offered me the opportunity to do an MS/PhD and my partner and I were ready to move out of Boston (just the opposite of your situation). :)

That sounds like a great option for you! I'm glad it worked out for you and that they have that kind of program. Saves you the stress of applying again. The Masters will be enough for me!

Hopefully I'll be able to say I'm all set for fall soon. As much as I'd like a visit back to MA, I wouldn't mind skipping the interview! I just want a "fat envelope" telling me to show up in the fall! :D

• 1 year later...

I currently attend the Worcester state program. There was no interview for my application. The part time option is great but it does take a long time to finish. If you attend accelerated clinic starts in the spring semester of your first year. If your full time it starts fall of your second year.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to decide between Emerson and Worcester State for my Master's in SLP.  I don't know too much about the Worcester State program and I'm curious if there is anyone who has attended the Worcester program and what his/her experience was.  I'm interested in working in the medical field after graduation, preferably in Boston. I'm wondering if Worcester graduates are readily able to find jobs in Boston medical settings after they graduate or if graduates of Boston schools like Emerson are given preference.  Thank you for any insight you can give me.

Hey,

I was accepted to both Emerson and Worcester as well for next fall. Ultimately I chose Emerson. Even though it is more expensive, it is a much better school than Worcester with great facilities, location, and an extensive alumni network. That probably doesn't help you much, but I just figured I'd let you know what went into my decision! The cost of Worcester is nice, but I would rather have the clinical experience and placement of Boston for post-grad than Worcester.

Hope to see you in the fall!!