Lit GRE for Creative Writing Emphasis?

nathangower84

Hey all,

I am applying to U of Cincinnati's English Ph.D. creative writing (fiction) track. I found it perplexing that they require the Literature in English GRE subject test, and I was wondering if any of the rest of you found yourself in a similar situation. I took the test today, and think I did mediocre at best.

I can't imagine that they would heavily weigh the lit test for creative writing emphasis, but I'm worried that my score will hurt my otherwise strong app (700 verbal GRE, 4.0 GPA, a handful of publications and presentations).

Anybody out there apply to UC's program specifically? If so, how did you do on the lit test?

Your writing sample(s? I think the CW track wants both creative and critical samples, right?) and statement of purpose are much, much more important than your GRE lit scores, and having presentations and publications in hand will really help as well. Also, anecdotally, my lit score was terrible.

I wouldn't spend a lot of time worrying about it.