Problem with U of Texas SOP

Is anyone else going through the Texas application? They ask you to copy/paste your SOP into a text box. However, none of the formatting transfers. This is fine for the most part, but it is impossible to have any italicized words. I mention several works in my statement and am afraid I will look like a moron with no italicization.

Am I freaking out over nothing? Will they know it is impossible to italicize something in their system?

I also am confused about whether or not I can go back and enter my SOP after I submit my app. I would like to go ahead and submit my app to give my LOR writers ample time to submit their letters, but once I get to the submission page it says I will not be able to go back and edit anything after I submit (contradicting some other info on the site).

I'm not sure about the italics in the text box. I would assume they would be aware, but who knows. DO NOT SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION IF YOU ARE NOT FINISHED. I went ahead and opened all of my apps to see which ones would send out the electronic forms without having to submit. Two of the programs would not allow me to do that, so I went and printed off the recommendation forms and gave them to my professors. Honestly, I'm not applying to Texas so I haven't been on their site; however, every other program I'm applying to this year and that I applied to last year with the exception of Ole Miss would not allow you to upload/edit info after submission. Ole Miss you can upload docs afterwards, which is fine because the application is really just the general information form. I would recommend doing paper copies for the schools that don't send out prior to submission so that you don't have to worry about crunching your prof's for time at the end of the semester when their schedule is most hectic.

Paper copies are helpful if you're feeling the crunch of finishing to give recommenders time—I did this as well.

I wouldn't worry much. If it's in a box with no formatting then everyone's in a box with no formatting, right?

If all else fails you could use underscores around titles, like _To Kill a Mockingbird_.

Edited by runonsentence

• 2 weeks later...

Texas will allow you to upload documents after submitting your general application.

For purposes of my own sanity, Ryzhaya or someone else, will you please vouch for me that you can still upload documents after submitting the Texas app?? I'm not ready to submit everything yet, but I want my letter writers to get their e-mails asap. I'm just afraid to submit without reassurance that I'll be able to still upload my documents!

Yes, I was worried about uploading everything else, too. I submitted my Texas application a few days ago, and I uploaded transcripts last night. I haven't uploaded my SoP or writing sample, yet, but you can do that up until the deadline.

Thanks! Yeah, I got right up to the last step and then freaked out about actually submitting! Haha. Hopefully they won't have an issue with the fact that my official transcript will be four days late... :unsure:

At least everything else will be on time!