Poor scores: Did I blow my chances?

onemlielma

I recently took the GRE and ended up with pretty abysmal scores. I received a 156 V and 146 Q. I knew my quant score would be pretty bad, as I've always had trouble with math and didn't expect too much. However, I thought that I would do a lot better on the verbal section as my practice test scores were pretty high. I've been studying for 1.5 hours per day since September, but I only used the Princeton Review book, the word smart book, and the PowerPrep software as my funds were extremely limited.

I barely scraped together enough money to take the test (ETS denied my waiver request) and my first few deadlines are coming up in December, so I won't have the opportunity to retest. I'm applying for a Master's in Near Eastern Studies, but I feel like I've blown my chances with my poor GRE scores. The rest of my application is very strong (high GPA, honors grad, research & professional experience, strong LORs, etc), but I'm worried given the prestige of some of the schools I'm applying to that my application will just be thrown out. I've worked so hard on my applications, and I have no doubts in my mind that the MA (and eventually a Ph.D) are what I want. I'm just very worried that I no longer have a chance at being accepted at any of the schools I'm applying to anymore. Should I just forget about applying or is there still a chance for me?

You're applying to MA programs now, right? The Ph.D. ambition is later, so in that case, when admissions standards are even tighter and funding becomes more crucial, you would be able to re-take to get a more comfortable score.

In the present, given the strength of your application in all other regards, do not let a standardized test erode your confidence. Your scores correlate to approximately 1100 on the old scale; hopefully that's sufficient to pass a "soft" threshold set by programs. Additionally, an underwhelming GRE performance can be viewed in better context when the applicant also has a high GPA, so you'll likely get some benefit of the doubt.

Move on. Stay positive.

I recently took the GRE and ended up with pretty abysmal scores. I received a 156 V and 146 Q. I knew my quant score would be pretty bad, as I've always had trouble with math and didn't expect too much. However, I thought that I would do a lot better on the verbal section as my practice test scores were pretty high. I've been studying for 1.5 hours per day since September, but I only used the Princeton Review book, the word smart book, and the PowerPrep software as my funds were extremely limited.

I barely scraped together enough money to take the test (ETS denied my waiver request) and my first few deadlines are coming up in December, so I won't have the opportunity to retest. I'm applying for a Master's in Near Eastern Studies, but I feel like I've blown my chances with my poor GRE scores. The rest of my application is very strong (high GPA, honors grad, research & professional experience, strong LORs, etc), but I'm worried given the prestige of some of the schools I'm applying to that my application will just be thrown out. I've worked so hard on my applications, and I have no doubts in my mind that the MA (and eventually a Ph.D) are what I want. I'm just very worried that I no longer have a chance at being accepted at any of the schools I'm applying to anymore. Should I just forget about applying or is there still a chance for me?

I just retook the GREs for Ph.D applications in my 2nd year of an MA program. I had bad GRE scores and still got into my MA program at Notre Dame. It's not a deal-breaker. Don't be upset about it. If the rest of your application is strong, you will be looked at by these programs.

I really wish schools would de-emphasize the importance of the GRE. As long as you meet the minimum score you should be fine. (Any chance you rocked the AW section?)

The only place where you MIGHT run into trouble is funding in the form of TA-ships and the like, which sounds like it may be an issue for you because of your financial situation. At least in my field after you're admitted they use GRE scores and GPA to determine your funding. You could easily have the same exact GPA as someone else but if they scored higher than you on the GRE they could beat you out for funding opportunities.

The risk of losing funding opportunities alone may possibly make you consider taking the test again, even if it's further down the road between admission and financial aid offers.

Edited by Rachel B

This is a related question - all the 4 schools I'm applying to stress in clear terms that GRE is not the final decision-making factor in selection, it's a reflection of how a candidate performs on a "standardised test" and that there is no minimum cut-off GRE score required by these departments.

My discipline (I'm from Arts) uses no quantitative analysis and is entirely based on qualitative research.

Having said that, I am applying for 2 prestigious and 2 middle-range schools and all selected candidates are offered funding. Besides, all of them are small programs and they admit a small number of candidate in a single year.

How much would the GRE scores count in the selection process in such a situation - especially if they are not high?

I'd appreciate any insights.

Thanks.

This is a related question - all the 4 schools I'm applying to stress in clear terms that GRE is not the final decision-making factor in selection, it's a reflection of how a candidate performs on a "standardised test" and that there is no minimum cut-off GRE score required by these departments.

My discipline (I'm from Arts) uses no quantitative analysis and is entirely based on qualitative research.

Having said that, I am applying for 2 prestigious and 2 middle-range schools and all selected candidates are offered funding. Besides, all of them are small programs and they admit a small number of candidate in a single year.

How much would the GRE scores count in the selection process in such a situation - especially if they are not high?

I'd appreciate any insights.

Thanks.

Are you referring to selection for admission or selection for funding? Either way, that seems like something you'd need to ask an academic coordinator or graduate director for the specific program.

I really wish schools would de-emphasize the importance of the GRE. As long as you meet the minimum score you should be fine. (Any chance you rocked the AW section?)

The only place where you MIGHT run into trouble is funding in the form of TA-ships and the like, which sounds like it may be an issue for you because of your financial situation. At least in my field after you're admitted they use GRE scores and GPA to determine your funding. You could easily have the same exact GPA as someone else but if they scored higher than you on the GRE they could beat you out for funding opportunities.

The risk of losing funding opportunities alone may possibly make you consider taking the test again, even if it's further down the road between admission and financial aid offers.

So what if you have an awesome GPA but did mediocre on the GRE? I have a 3.81 GPA with a 4.0 in my major. I am also in the Honors program. However, I got a V-162 Q-148 (YUCK!) and AW 4.5 (I really thought I did better on the writing too). Any thoughts on how that might look to a funding decision maker? A lot of my programs will depend on my getting some decent funding to be able to attend. Otherwise I will be stuck at a state school...not my first choice!

It depends. Your low scores certainly won't help. No one wants a graduate student who stumbles over big words or cannot read a graph. The problem for you is exacerbated by the fact that the programs that you applied to hold the GRE's in higher regard than other schools would. On the up side, the GRE does not have as much influence as it once did. I had very good GRE scores; however, the programs that I was accepted into did not consider them.

So what if you have an awesome GPA but did mediocre on the GRE? I have a 3.81 GPA with a 4.0 in my major. I am also in the Honors program. However, I got a V-162 Q-148 (YUCK!) and AW 4.5 (I really thought I did better on the writing too). Any thoughts on how that might look to a funding decision maker? A lot of my programs will depend on my getting some decent funding to be able to attend. Otherwise I will be stuck at a state school...not my first choice!

It really depends on who you're competing against and that pool can change every year. If you're competing against other admitted students with a similar GPA and GRE scores, they would obviously put more weight on your recommendations and your resume. But if you're competing against someone with the same GPA and much higher GRE scores, it's likely they would get selected over you. A school may gladly admit B and 60th percentile GRE score students, but only be willing to financially invest in A students with near perfect GRE scores.

It's unfortunate because to many students the GRE is just a number, but it's that one variable that puts all students on an even playing field. Having a high GRE score will give you the leg up even if it's the most pointless test you'll ever take and has nothing to do with determining your success.

Don't be afraid to contact a graduate advisor and ask what they use to determine funding. If they do put your GPA and GRE as the top two variables, tell them your current GPA and GRE and ask if they're considered competitive for funding. Also ask if they put a stronger emphasis on a certain section (For example, a lot of engineering schools could care less about a lousy Verbal score). If you don't have a competitive GRE score, ask if it would be a good idea for you to take it again, between that gap between admission offers and financial aid offers.

Edited by Rachel B

Hi,

I am applying for Ph.D in sociology. I had spoken to a few professors who seemed interested to work with me, got great LoR's and have a decent CGPA of 7.3, work experience. however then came the GRE and put a bump to all my plans. I scored a 299/340 on the new scale which is around 1050 on the old scale. I am afraid that i might no longer be able to get admission.

Does anyone know how much weightage is given to GRE scores in the department of sociology at UC - santa barbara, UNC and UW- seattle???? UCSB socio states that they have no minimum requirement for GRE.

what are my chances of making it??? can anyone please help me out.

Thanks.

Shambhavi,

This is what I am trying to figure out too, as you can see above. But I am in a discipline which has nothing to do with quantitative analysis. On the other hand, Sociology does have some quantitative analysis, unless you choose a topic that is purely theoretical and qualitative-analysis based. Most of my programs state clearly that GRE is not a decision-making factor, there is no minimum GRE score required and it only reflects a candidate's ability for a "standardised test."

I guess the competitive programs in Sociology would regard GRE as having some weight at least. But you need to look for universities that don't ask for a minimum GRE score for Sociology and apply in some of them.

If your research topic deals with quantitative analysis, GRE score would have some bearing on your selection. But if you are interested in a purely theoretical topic, which doesn't deal with quantitative analysis and can demonstrate a strong research potential, I don't feel your GRE score should deter you from applying, especially if there is no minimum GRE score requirement mentioned. If a program states a minimum GRE score requirement higher than what you've got, in that case, you should re-take the GRE if you wish to apply for such programs. Going through the various departments of different universities, this is the impression I have got.

Shambhavi,

This is what I am trying to figure out too, as you can see above. But I am in a discipline which has nothing to do with quantitative analysis. On the other hand, Sociology does have some quantitative analysis, unless you choose a topic that is purely theoretical and qualitative-analysis based. Most of my programs state clearly that GRE is not a decision-making factor, there is no minimum GRE score required and it only reflects a candidate's ability for a "standardised test."

I guess the competitive programs in Sociology would regard GRE as having some weight at least. But you need to look for universities that don't ask for a minimum GRE score for Sociology and apply in some of them.

If your research topic deals with quantitative analysis, GRE score would have some bearing on your selection. But if you are interested in a purely theoretical topic, which doesn't deal with quantitative analysis and can demonstrate a strong research potential, I don't feel your GRE score should deter you from applying, especially if there is no minimum GRE score requirement mentioned. If a program states a minimum GRE score requirement higher than what you've got, in that case, you should re-take the GRE if you wish to apply for such programs. Going through the various departments of different universities, this is the impression I have got.

I have to warn you, schools that may not have a minimum GRE may still have a very high average accepted GRE. Again, that's a good statistic you may want to ask an academic coordinator.

Hi,

I am applying for Ph.D in sociology. I had spoken to a few professors who seemed interested to work with me, got great LoR's and have a decent CGPA of 7.3, work experience. however then came the GRE and put a bump to all my plans. I scored a 299/340 on the new scale which is around 1050 on the old scale. I am afraid that i might no longer be able to get admission.

Does anyone know how much weightage is given to GRE scores in the department of sociology at UC - santa barbara, UNC and UW- seattle???? UCSB socio states that they have no minimum requirement for GRE.

what are my chances of making it??? can anyone please help me out.

Thanks.

I too am applying to UCSB, but to their M.S. Environmental Science program. They do not have a minimum GRE but their average accepted GRE is 1200.

Exactly how much weight they give to a section aspect of an application is something we may never know. Is it possible the admission committee would overlook your less-than-stellar GRE scores and instead put more weight on your recommendations? Absolutely. Could they offer admission to someone with the same credentials but a higher GRE? Definitely.

Your best bet is to just contact each individual office and ask if your application would still be competitive given your GRE scores. Academic coordinators, graduate directors, etc are there for our benefit. While they won't try to discourage you from applying they can tell you what aspects to emphasize more in order to balance out a slightly higher than average GRE score.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the reply and suggestions. It actually makes sense to contact the graduate school for average gre scores of the students admitted in the past few years.

I am hoping that maybe my GRE scores won't be given too much weightage, for my research is mostly theoretical (looking at politics of identity, state and migration policies from a gendered perspective). But considering my scores are really bad, i don't know how much of it can they even overlook.

As of now I'm applying to UCSB, UNC- chapel hill, UW- Seattle and UT-A. but I'm not really that hopeful. I am aware that my chances are pretty bleak. The problem is I can't even take a retest for GRE as the deadlines are all here. there is no time.

Can you guys suggest some places i can apply to which are known not to place too much emphasis on GRE, (i'm quite unfamiliar with the US system and universities)

Thanks a ton again, for your suggestions.

Rachel B,

Thanks for your concern and advice gain. Your comment is really helpful.

For some time, I have been exploring departments, even talking to the faculty to understand how the GRE score works during selection. It appears it varies from discipline to discipline and upon how large the application pool is.

For example, in your discipline of Environmental Sciences, GRE score plays a major role and a person has to have a high GRE score to get admission and funding. In my subject, it plays a minor role.

In Shambhavi's subject, it varies by the nature of research.

More often than not, it's the disciplines using quantitative research that use GRE score seriously for selection and funding. Non-quantitative-oriented disciplines seem to make the GRE a deciding factor in cases when there is a large pool of applications.

Shambhavi,

The nature of your research interest suggests that GRE score would play a significant role in selection and funding. Eventhough your research interest is theoretical, it does require quantitative analysis and there would be a lot of people applying with similar or related research interests.

PS - Shambhavi,

Even if you find places where they don't place too much emphasis on GRE score in your area of research interest - and it may be difficult to find such places, these places are not likely to have proper financial assistance for International students.

PS - Shambhavi,

Even if you find places where they don't place too much emphasis on GRE score in your area of research interest - and it may be difficult to find such places, these places are not likely to have proper financial assistance for International students.

PS - Shambhavi,

Thanks a lot.....*sigh* guess its time to look at other countries and options then.

This has been really helpful. thanks a lot everyone