$14K in Chicago vs. $13K in Bloomington

duckrabbit

I know $13K in Bloomington is very doable, based on what others in the forum have said.

What about $14K in Chicago? (I believe I can pick up some teaching in the summers, but am not completely sure.) Is it generally easy to find a roommate and a cheapish apartment there (with utilities included, if possible)? Is it extremely difficult to find free parking in Chicago? I've done $14K in Boston before, but money was unbelievably tight. I didn't buy clothes for about four years.

Thanks to any who can give advice.

Guest Guest

What university in Chicago are you considering? Are you planning to live on or near that campus? Rent, parking etc. will vary pretty significantly depending on the neighborhood you're thinking of living in. I've lived in Chicago for about 5 years so I'll try to help however I can if you can give me a little more info.

Thanks very much -- I really appreciate your offer of advice!

I'm looking at UIC. I don't mind commuting a little via el or bus (I think 40 minutes is the longest commute I want to deal with) if it means cheaper rent, although of course I'd prefer to live near the campus (I'll live on campus if it's really cheaper). I also prefer having roommates, so I will probably be sharing a place with other people, provided I can find others looking to share a place.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest annebeefleming

I studied at UIC for undergrad, so I can fill you in if you'd like. My experience there was very mixed. I wouldn't suggest living in the neighborhood near UIC. I lived there for a year and there was a lot of crime and rent is very high for what you get.

I studied at UIC for undergrad, so I can fill you in if you'd like. My experience there was very mixed. I wouldn't suggest living in the neighborhood near UIC. I lived there for a year and there was a lot of crime and rent is very high for what you get.

Thank you. Which neighborhoods would you recommend? What was your experience like?