LCSW vs MA in Psychology

kobe36

Hi, everyone, I have been lurking on the board for awhile and have now decided to join because i need some help with grad school. My dilemma is this:

1) My gpa is not good ... (2.0 overall, 3.0 in major psychology) I messed up the first two years because i was an chemistry major before switching to psychology.

2) graduated from a state university three years ago.

3) haven't taking my GRE yet, am currently studying for it while working full time as a case manager for low income families.

4) good thing going for me ?? I have had three year experience working with the populations that I want to work with after I get my masters and also my current manager will write an excellent letter of recommendation for me.

5) my ultimate goal is to work with juvenile (preferably as a therapist) .... I would love to be able to work directly with youth who are in juvie and be able to give them a second chance. I am also interested in being able to testify in court for them.

so based on all these criteria. what do you think of my chances of getting into grad school ? I am undecided between a LCSW (license clinician social worker) or MA in forensic psychology. Any help would be grealy appreciated.

Based on what you want to do, do social work. Social work programs are less competitive than psychology ones, and social work is much more appropriate for your interests anyway. I was a social work major for 2 years before switching to sociology, that's where my advice is coming from...social work sounds perfect for you! :)