Going to Brown?

Guest Cridamour

Guest Cridamour

I have accepted Brown's offer and will start their PhD program in Comparative Literature in the Fall of 2006. Anyone else going?

Guest daphna

I'm probably going to accept their offer for PhD in History, but I'm still waiting for a final answer from WashU before making the final decision. 

Guest Cridamour

Cool! I visited Brown a couple of weeks ago (it was actually my first time in the US...) and I had a great time. Faculty and students were really friendly and the campus is beautiful. It really gave me a very good impression. I will be doing some of my work in other departments, such as Italian, MCM, Am Civ, etc., so who knows, we might end up taking a class together. I sat in on a history class during my visit and it was surprisingly similar to the kind of work I expect to be doing. Luckily, Brown is all for interdisciplinarity! :D

Which school are you waiting for?

Guest daphna

Sounds great!

I'm wait-listed at Northwestern. I still haven't decided which one I prefer (there are non-academic issues involved as well).

If I don't get an answer from them close to the deadline I will naturally choose Brown, and if I do get an answer then I will have to make a decision.

But so far from all I've heard about Brown and Providence it sounds like the kind of place I would love, so definitly leaning towards that. :-)

Guest Cridamour

Hey Daphna, what are your fields of interest for History? I actually sat in on a history class at Brown (because it ties in with what I'm doing). It was a class by a visiting professor (from Cornell), called "History, Memory, and Trauma". It was a great class, they were actually covering most of the literature I had been working with/on for the past year or so. (loads of trauma theory and also some literary analysis of e.g. Art Spiegelman)

By the way, share the comments of that friend of yours who visited Brown in the other thread, please! I need more information! :)

Guest daphna

I'm interested in Early Modern (mostly 14-16th century) English Cultural history.

I've done some work on Death and rituals of death and I'm interested in gender, religion and other aspects of culture.

Memory sounds like the kind of thing that would certainly interest me. :-)

She didn't say much more than you said. She said the professors were nice, the campus was beautiful and the area around it was very nice. She said there were shops and resteraunts at walking distance from campus and that she ate at one place and it was nice. She also said they were staying with some grad students there and the apartment was large and nice, so apparantley you can afford decent living there on the stipend.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest daphna

So that's it. I am now officially going to Brown.

I'm not waiting to hear from my waitlist anymore. I've made my decision and sent them my answer, and unless my husband completely fails to get a job , I'll be joining you guys at Brown. :-)

Guest Cridamour

That's great news! You must feel relieved to have made a decision after all the applications, and especially, all the waiting!!!!

Guest daphna

I am very relieved. Honestly, it feels great to know where I'm going, and I have a good feeling about Brown even though I haven't been there.

Now I'm beginning the panic phase, of trying to figure out how you pack up your entire life in one place and move it half way across the world in five months. :-)

Guest Cridamour

Yes, I know how you feel!!! I booked my one-way ticket a couple of weeks ago and have a list of things I need to sell, store, give away, etc. before leaving. I need to change my official residence to my parents' place again (because I won't have an apartment in Belgium anymore), I'll have to close down my bank account and then open one in the US, etc. And administrative things like that take a very long time here... But all we can do is make a list of everything we need to do and get started! :)

Guest daphna

I haven't made the list yet, and it's even more complicated for me because I'm married and own an apartment, so on top of the things you said, I need to get a green card for my husband (I'm an american citizen), find him a job, find someone that will rent our apartment while we're gone etc.

Also, try to appease his parents and convince them that I am not stealing their son and they will see him again, and that really it's not that difficult for them to come and visit us there and for us to come visit them here. :-P

Let the games begin! :-)

Guest Cridamour

Well, at least you'll be taking your husband with you! :) My boyfriend won't be able to work in the US unless he gets an awesome deal, so I'm leaving him behind for the time being... :( We'll have to go long-distance for a while and hopefully, when he finishes his PhD, he can come and do a post-doc or find a job in the area... But this all seems pretty far away...

Haha, but good luck with your parents-in-law, especially if he's an only child! :wink:

Guest daphna

ooh. that sucks about your boyfriend. I hope it'll work out for you eventually.

He's not an only child, but his brother and the brother's family live in Canada, so he may as well be an only child. :wink:

But at least Brown is on the east coast, which makes it a shorter and easier flight. So they can always be comforted that at least we aren' t in California or something. :-)

hey everyone! congrats on the acceptance and (at least for me) completing the harder task of deciding! i'm looking at stuff on craigslist right now for housing, and there are some really great deals...i was wondering if any of you out there were interested in maybe buddying up and looking at 2+br with me. For example, this looks really nice: http://providence.craigslist.org/apa/144316896.html (2br + third room which could be used as office for $1100/month total!). if you're interested, my email is the.cunning.ham@gmail.com...thanks!

Guest Cridamour

Hi Emma!

I actually arranged my housing for Brown last week... That's the way it always goes, either no options or too many! :) Be sure to check out the posts in the City Guide-thread for Providence, RI, you'll find some useful info on housing and such there!

Yay, we're going to Brown!!! :D

• 2 months later...

Hey Cridamour, Daphna, Capriccio and Emma!

It's so nice to see everyone excited to go to Brown. I too have accepted their offer and am joining their Biomedical Engineering division to get my PhD. I visited Brown earlier in May and got a chance to talk to some faculty and look around for apartments. It's so pretty!

Anyhow, I'm glad that I saw your posts online. Enjoy the summer before we head to Brown! Are all of you planning on getting to campus around the end of August before graduate orientation begins?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use