Applying again next year?

hip2btriangle

Okay, so this is a bit anticipatory, but has anyone heard of people who apply one year, don't get in/get funding, and then apply again the following year to the same schools?

I say this because I know I will have a much, much stronger application next year, but I decided to apply for this year because I have a pretty strong application and I just really wanted to get going on this stuff.

Do people who apply twice generally have better or worse outcomes as far as admissions/funding? Any general responses to this somewhat general question?

I'm applying to two of the same schools that I applied to last year. One of them rejected me and one of them waitlisted me.

I didn't mention anything in my SoP about applying last year to the school that rejected me - and although they were my top choice last year, I'm really going to enjoy rejecting them if I get another offer. I'm not going to lie, that was one of the major reasons I applied again (it's close to home but not a good fit for me).

As for the school that waitlisted me, because I came close last year and because of the giant steps I've taken to improve my application (100 points higher on GRE verbal, research experience since summer, more community leadership experience, grad stats course, etc.), one of my profs said I should consider it a "safety school" this time around.

Here's a thread about my SoP for the school that waitlisted me: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14652

i asked one of my professors/recommenders this question in november or december. he said that it actually happened the year or two before. the first time the committee wasn't sure if sociology was the applicant's best fit, if the applicant was really ready for sociology, if the application was very well thought out, etc. but when the applicant applied a second time, it (and that the applicant had really worked on his application) proved to the committee that applicant was dedicated to the field, so they accepted him. it sounded like a statement of purpose issue, but the professor didn't really specify.

hope that helps.