Factors to consider in choosing a school for graduate studies

contretemps

Is it the amount of stipend? school ranking? the city? research fit?

You see, I was accepted in a US School for PhD Chem and in a school in Paris for MS Chem. How do I choose? I'm torn between the two because one is in Paris! (who doesn't like to go to Paris?) while the other is a relatively more prestigious school.

I just don't want to regret my decision later. Any thoughts?

It's a very personal decision. What is most important to you might not be important to someone else. Someone who is rich might not care about the stipend at all, while it's very important to most other grad students. Start finding out as much as you can about the schools and cities and decide what things are most important.

Hey congrats contretemps! At least you have got options to choose from... Yeah I think it would be hard to give up Paris, but think about it, if you eventually need a PhD, then I would think you should do PhD now. You can always go to Paris for postdoc, and by that time you will have more money to enjoy Paris and travel around.

Anyway you are still waiting to hear from other schools, so you may have even better options for PhD coming up. Good luck ;).