e-Transcript tracking - what does it all mean?

milara

So one of my institutions offers certified eTranscripts. And the service that handles the eTranscripts offers document tracking. I receive a notification every time the transcript is opened, closed, or printed. I can even see the transcript's movements on a nifty little map, which so far doesn't seem terribly useful, since it basically went from the place of creation to the place I'm applying to.

Seeing the open and close and print events, I began to wonder what these events mean. And then I wondered if anyone else has wondered the same thing. So I came here to see.

I'm not convinced that much information can be gathered from this data, other than the fact that it was received. It probably depends entirely on how that school handles applications. For example, do they print it out and place it in a paper file, and distribute it to admissions committees by photocopying it? Do the admissions committees look at them as they come in, or do they languish in a file until after the submission deadline?

The one thing I can think of that might be meaningful is if a transcript that you sent to, say, New Jersey, is opened in, for example, Florida. I can't imagine a generic admissions drone looking at transcripts while traveling/on vacation. Professors, however, work in many different settings and on many varied schedules. They are the only ones I can think of who would have a reason to open a transcript somewhere other than the city of the university.

Anyway, aside from those of you who want to tell me I'm thinking about it too much (I already know that! :), anyone else ever wonder what we can gather from this sort of tracking?