Cornell - include CV or not?

gellert

This is slightly psychology-specific, though I'd welcome input from anyone in any discipline.

So, there's no place to upload CV on the Cornell app. It says in the instructions not to include unsolicited material. However, the psych page says you can include "research reports or papers" if you like. So...what is a research report? I guess it's a stretch to interpret that as CV.

Would you recommend:

a) Including research experience under work experience, even if unpaid,

b ) Not mentioning it at all and hoping your LORs and SOP speak for themselves,

c) Calling and asking even though tomorrow is the app deadline -- thereby risking not submitting in time, or

d) Uploading a CV

Thanks!

Edited by gellert

I wondered the same thing. In the end I uploaded my CV. As someone who's worked "in the real world" for a while, my justification was that it's worth it to bend the rules if your CV has valuable information on it. A lot of employers will put guidelines on their website (e.g. no unsolicited resumes, please) while sort of expecting you to break them.

I thought it was a little strange that the Cornell app forced you to cram awards and scholarships into 3 lines - I didn't have enough space to list mine.

Same, I ended up just saying something like "# first-author publications, #other publications, #posters, #presentations, x and y awards, see CV for titles." I did end up calling and Cornell said I could upload the CV in that additional info page or email it to them (the department). So, yeah, I think it's totally okay.

Edited by gellert