Astronomy / Planteray Science Graduate School Decisions

Guest forgradadvice

Guest forgradadvice

Hello,

I am looking for peer advice on where to go for a planetary science Phd focused on planetary exploration. My choices are:

ASU (SESE)

Berkeley (Astronomy)

Caltech (GPS)

Cornell (Astronomy)

MIT (EAPS)

My fiance and I have logistical reaons to lean toward MIT. Does anyone have any strong feelings regarding MIT's strength versus the other choices (taking into account the recent loss of planetary professors at MIT and lack of NASA facilities near-by).

Thanks

Guest PlanetsGuy

See my note in the "Who's Going Where?" forum. But now I'm wondering if you haven't yet applied...? If that's the case, you should definitely include UCLA, Arizona, Washington University in St. Louis (WashU) ., and Hawaii on your list. Also possibly University of Washington (ESS), especially if you're an atmospheres person.

And keep in mind that these places are all ridiculously competitive. I got rejected from all but two (out of nine) schools I applied to, and I think I'm a pretty competitive candidate (B.S./M.S. both in geophysics from an "elite" university, 3.4, 3.8 Ugrad/grad GPA, 1460 GRE (6.0 AW), 660 (51%) physics GRE, publications/abstracts, etc.) It mostly comes down to who you know, as long as you have decent scores and grades (and research experience, of course). The fit of the program is very important. I got an amazing offer from one school (which "happens" to be the best fit for me), so I'm pretty happy despite all the rejections!

Again, I'm not sure if you've gotten into all these places yet or what, but if so, congratulations! If not, then good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest PlanetsGuy
mgeller44 said:
PlanetsGuy- do you mind me asking where you applied? I have similar stats and will be applying for 2007

U. of Arizona (Planetary Sci.)

Arizona State U. (Geol. Sci.)

Brown U. (Geol. Sci.)

Caltech (Geol. & Planet. Sci.)

UCLA (Earth & Space Sci.)

U. of Colorado (Astroph. & Planet. Sci.)

Cornell (Astro. & Space Sci.)

WashU (Earth & Planet. Sci.)

MIT (Earth, Atmos., & Planet. Sci.)

Although I think my applications were all very strong, there are a lot of things I'd do differently if I had it to do over again. I'm fortunate that I got into my top choice (this isn't coincidence, it's "fit"), but I think I could have gotten accepted most places if I had known more about the process at the time. The main thing is connections: If you've got someone in the department going to bat for you, it almost doesn't matter what your record looks like*. The second thing is to keep your SOP focused and simple. Keep it short and get to the point (the "point" should be related to why THIS particular department is the absolute best fit for you and your research goals). Finally, do the best you can on the GRE tests (especially physics), because these count for a lot, especially in larger departments that sift through many applications. If you can get >800 on the physics test (you know you can), that will get your application in the right pile. The profs on the admissions committees are all extremely busy, so they have to use grades/scores as a first-order selection criterion. I wish I had taken the physics test more seriously and started studying further in advance. It's really not that tough, just freshman/sophomore stuff and memorization. Devote the next 6-7 months to it, and you'll ace it in November. There's nothing you can do about your grades (this was the biggest flaw in my own application), but play up the other things that make you outstanding, if your grades are less than perfect (only math/science grades matter, BTW).

Good luck!

*Note: How to make these sorts of connections is kind of an open question. Presenting at conferences is the best way. Get your current advisor to introduce you to people, get interested in their research (i.e., read their publications) and ask questions about it. If you had more time, I'd suggest getting a summer REU with somebody in a department to which you're applying...

Guest forgradadvice

Depending on your interests, you should also inculde:

Berkeley (Astronomy) [They have SSL, a great lab that builds and flies satellites, sounding rockets, and high altitude baloons]

University of Michigan, Ann Arbor (SOASS & Aero/Astro) [The planetary science / space physics program is in the engineering department]

University of Maryland (Astronomy)

UCSC (Astronomy) [Lots of instrumentation and ground-based observing]

Guest mgeller44

forgradadvice- thanks, i am definitely into satellites, but i feel like berkeley is going to require my firstborn or a kidney. are you doing satellites?

PlanetsGuy- thanks, do you mind me asking where you are going/which 2 you got into? Congrads either way!

Guest PlanetsGuy
mgeller44 said:
PlanetsGuy- thanks, do you mind me asking where you are going/which 2 you got into? Congrads either way!

I think you'll understand if I decline...

Anyway, if you're "into satellites", then you'll probably be applying to engineering departments anyway (and your list should be completely different). Planetary science programs are more about the science, and less about instrumentation/engineering. I think forgradadvice and I have different interests from one another.