SAIS MA Economics Prerequisites

kayoko.ly

I am applying to the MA program at SAIS and hoping to be accepted into the International Development concentration. They require completion of an intermediary economics prerequisite before entering in the fall, but I am confused as to where to demonstrate my economics experience other than in the section of the application where it only explicitly asks for Intermediary Macro/Micro course information.

I was an economics major and took several econ classes, but none exclusively titled or focused on intermediary macro/micro but instead this subject matter was embedded in more specialized econ courses such as developmental economics, international economic theory, financial economics, etc.

Does anyone know if there is a way to address and highlight my economics background other than just sending in my transcript, which is quite cryptic given the course code abbreviations?

Thank you very much!

Edited by Kayoko Lyons

I would think that since your degree is in Economics that it would be evident that you have a substantial economics background. I wouldn't worry about them trying to decipher your transcripts, that's part of their job, they'll be able to do that just fine. I agree with the poster above, if you want to really hit it home you can make note of it in your SOP in demonstrating that you have a solid academic foundation for ID. For example..."Through courses such as Development Economics and International Economics Theory, I have become much more aware of the obstacles the developing world is facing in poverty alleviation and...etc." You should be very prepared for economics classes if you have to take them at SAIS, GW's ID program has an economics prerequisite too, I had a macro class years ago but that's it and I found the quantitative aspects of our required Economics of Development course rather challenging.

For peace of mind you can always call/email admissions and ask them that question if you want to make sure you're filling out that part of the application correctly. That's what they are there for...to help you. I'm sure they'll be happy to do so. I've seen so many applicants around here asking if it's "ok" to contact admissions...of course it is. Don't just assume or guess, these applications are too costly in time, money, and energy.

Okay thank you both, NObama and Mal83. I appreciate your responses very much!! I sent an email to admissions already and still waiting to hear back so figured I would post here in the meantime. Was just a bit unsure as SIPA and HKS applications very explicitly asked for quantitative experience.

Happy Holidays and thank you again!

Hey, I'm a current student at SAIS, although not an idev concentrator. You have to pass intermediate micro in their pre-term session, which runs from the end of July to the end of August in DC, or pass the waiver exam. You can't use your undergrad credits to place out. From what I'm told, they are very strict about this and do not make exceptions. Since you were an econ major, I'd try to take the waiver exam (which you can take online) as soon as it's offered, which I believe would be in the beginning of the summer. If you pass it, then you're home free. If not, take pre-term micro. If you look around on the SAIS website, they should have an overview of what topics are covered.

They cover a lot of this on their website, so just poke around there. If you still have questions, just e-mail or call the admissions people. They're probably super busy right now, but if you keep harassing them, they'll eventually get back to you.

Okay thank you both, NObama and Mal83. I appreciate your responses very much!! I sent an email to admissions already and still waiting to hear back so figured I would post here in the meantime. Was just a bit unsure as SIPA and HKS applications very explicitly asked for quantitative experience.

Happy Holidays and thank you again!