Paying for WES evaluation for safety school: Worth the money?

I've applied to most of the programs I'm interested in, with just three out of eleven left. One of these three is my last place safety school (meaning that I'd go there only if I'm not accepted into all other programs, including my other safety schools), and it is the only place that requires that I submit an evaluation of my foreign grades. This would cost me quite a lot of money.

Now I am not sure whether or not to apply to this university, mainly because of the evaluation. It is also the program least fitting my research interests. On the other hand, if the worst case scenario happens and I don't get into the other ten, I'd be screwed if I don't also apply to the 11th.

Any thoughts?

• 4 weeks later...

It is also the program least fitting my research interests. On the other hand, if the worst case scenario happens and I don't get into the other ten, I'd be screwed if I don't also apply to the 11th.

Any thoughts?

There are no "safety" schools. People often get rejected from places they think are "safeties", precisely because as you mentioned, research interests don't match and the school is a) not interested in someone who has research interests outside their programs or B) can tell from you mismatched interests that they're a back up for you and you'll probably only attend if you don't get in somewhere else - they'd rather offer a place to someone they think will attend.