Military to public policy/admin

Rcoll90

I am an enlisted member in the US Air Force and will retire in five years. I would like to work in public policy or admin when I retire. I'm not sure if I want to work in government or for an NGO but I would like to be involved in policy work relating to military/veteran matters or to any of the other causes I care about..

I have a MS in Operations Management from the University of Arkansas (4.0 GPA) and a BS in Management from Embry Riddle University (3.9 GPA). Given my experience and current education level, is a degree in the field required in order to find employment in the field? What steps can I take to better prepare myself In the next five years? And finally, do I have a shot at big name programs both at the masters and PhD level (Columbia, WWS, Penn, NYU)?

Not sure that I can add any real insight, but thought you at least deserved a reply (uninformed as it may be). I would think your time in the military (I am assuming you'll have put 20 years in before retirement), along with an MS in OM would get you looked at for the positions you are interested in. In addition, for government jobs you'll have the benefit of the Vet bonus for hiring. If you still feel under-qualified, however, you may consider a one year MA program. Most of the top schools have such a degree for those already working in the field. You'd want to look into them, to make sure you'd qualify, but it may help you shift your career into the direction you want.

As far as a PhD is concerned, it's hard to say, but considering most top programs accept 10-25 people from hundreds of applicants, nobody has much of a chance to get in (especially if you haven't been in an academic setting in awhile). Most importantly, though, I am not sure that a PhD would get you any closer to your goal. Something to consider.

Thanks for the response. I have considered master's programs, but I'm afraid I won't get the funding I need to pursue the degree and raise a family unless I go part time. At least the PhD would offer a stipend to offset living expenses.

Getting a PhD just for funding might not be the best idea though. A PhD is 5 years of your time, the majority of which you will spend doing your own research project.In order to succeed in a program like this, you usually need to really love your topic, research etc.

There is M.A funding available, esp. for veterans. In addition, there are some programs that have part-time masters or the majority of classes in the evening.

That said, I'm not sure a Master is the right thing for you or even required. You might want to ask around what kind of jobs you could get right now. Your management experience/background coupled with your army background might suffice for some of the jobs you're interested in, esp. in administration. Unless you have a genuine passion for classroom learning, I would first explore other options. You might also look at taking online/distance classes to get some foundation in public policy.

• 3 weeks later...

For what it's worth, I think the question about another Masters degree might have to do with the fact that there are PhD programs out there - though extremely competative - that are open to bringing in folks with an MA/MS in another field. For instance, it's not unheard of for military folks with an MS in Engineering to be accepted to PhD programs in Public Policy, (I know of two specifically). So that is something worth considering. But as the previous poster alluded, PhD work is a long and taxing process and ought to be pursued only after careful consideration and consultation with family and friends. With that, after a military career, a PhD could be just the next life challenge that you will be looking for to find fulfillment and satisfaction. For you to decide.

If you did want to pursue another Masters, I think an MPP would probably be best as you could make your case as wanting to complement your extensive management / leadership experience with quantative skills and sound analysis. Georgetown, GW, and American all offer part-time programs and the DC area is a job-friendly place for military retirees. But you could even take a look at a place like Maxwell at Syracuse. Though you would be earning an MPA, there is still a lot of analytical coursework and policy exposure to be had. The plus side with Maxwell is that you could do it in only a year and the cost of living there is quite reasonable and you could treat it as just another PCS adventure for you and your family.

What's the status of your Post 9/11 GI Bill? Did you already use the MGIB to get one of your degrees or did you transfer your benefits to family? You could certainly find a couple of programs out there that would completely cover you with 100% of the Post 9/11 GI Bill and the Yellow Ribbon Program. Hope this helps.