PhD in Community and Behavioral Health Sciences

RWSC3

Anyone hear back from PhD programs in Community and Behavioral Health yet? I wish you all the best of luck!

Post here if you have~

Nothing yet! Though I don't expect to hear anything until late Feb/early March since both of my schools (JHU and Temple) don't typically hold interviews for their behavioral health programs.

I was contacted by Pitt for a phone interview (I'm applying to the DrPH program). It went well and I was invited for an inperson interview!!

That's awesome! Dean Burke is really cool, I was seated next to him at a conference last year. They have a great program, best of luck!

I want to second that. Congrats on the phone interview and good luck in the in person interview.

I'm having an informal discussion with the director of Claremont's Health Promotion Sciences program next Thursday. Has anyone had any of those types of conversations? I'm curious about the types of things they ask and what folks have done to prepare. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks. I'm excited but still nervous (it just doesn't seem real).

I've had some informal discussions but they were prior to me submitting my application. I find it best to have a list of questions that you want to ask the program prepared in advance. If Google "graduate school interview" or "graduate school questions" you can find a list or two to start you off.

Every conversation is different because you'll get such different vibes from the faculty. Some faculty will want to talk about theory but most will want to know who you are, what your experiences are and what are your career goals. A few will ask the big question, "Why do you need a PhD? You have an MPH you can do what you want to do with that." You need to have a concrete answer to this.

Overall all the informal conversations I've had have been very enlightening and motivating. My experience is that most SPH faculty are very interested in mentoring students and it shows during these conversations. I wish you well next Thursday. Come back and let us know how it went.

I want to second that. Congrats on the phone interview and good luck in the in person interview.

I'm having an informal discussion with the director of Claremont's Health Promotion Sciences program next Thursday. Has anyone had any of those types of conversations? I'm curious about the types of things they ask and what folks have done to prepare. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I also had some informal discussions with faculty/dept chairs at programs that I eventually applied to, but before I applied (last summer). It was probably a little different than what you will experience because mine was more of a two-way interview. I was gauging if it was a program I liked and was worth applying to, but was also asked typical interview questions. I was also given advice on my application (i.e. no need to retake GRE). I brought a list of questions with me but also prepared myself to be interviewed.

I think the tone of the meeting is heavily influenced by who set it up. If you arranged the meeting, the ball starts in your court. Since you are meeting with the director of the program, I would make sure you are familiar with the faculty you might want to work with. This will help the director see where you could fit in at the university. I would also set up meetings with those faculty members if you have time (especially if you mentioned them in your personal statement).

Assuming that the director doesn't know you, the first 10 or so minutes of your meeting is going to be catching him/her up on who you are/why you are applying/why Claremont, etc. Be very familiar with your CV/resume since that is the only concrete piece of information the director will have about you. If he/she asks you any questions, I'm sure they'll either be standard interview questions or something that comes naturally to you (like what your research interests are).

As far as what questions to ask, common ones are about funding, where students live, if they RA/TA the first year, how mentor is selected, etc. Just make sure that information isn't already answered on their website.

Good luck! It's strangely exciting to hear about people from programs I didn't apply to start to hear good things because I know I have at least seven more weeks of silence!

Thanks DeeLovely79 and twizzler86! I really appreciate the support and advice. Don't get too excited about this conversation though. It is not in response to my application. Applications for Claremont are not due until Feb. 5th and I haven't submitted mine yet. This conversation was initiated by me and is exactly what both of you did in the past in terms of reaching out prior to applying. I'm just late in this process. The director of the program is the person I would want to work with as his research is similar to my interests and my previous research experience.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was contacted by Pitt for a phone interview (I'm applying to the DrPH program). It went well and I was invited for an inperson interview!!

DeeLovely, when did you submit your application for UPitt?